Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SysVinit 3.08 Released With A Couple Patches

Phoronix: SysVinit 3.08 Released With A Couple Patches

For those still managing to resist systemd, SysVinit 3.08 was released on Thursday as the newest update to this init system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know about you, but I am very happy with systemd, it works great.
    But to be honest, I don't know much about this init system things, I just use Ubuntu, and it uses systemd and it works well, I don't really know much about it.

Comment

Beyond SysV, you have more modern init software like runit, S6, and OpenRC that all follow the classic UNIX paradigm of "do one thing and do it well" for those who don't care for the complexity and feature creep of systemd. For full on desktop/workstation distros, systemd is fine and does what it is intended to, but for embedded and containerized installations one might prefer something smaller and simpler which is why Alpine for example avoids systemd. As with everything else in the Linux orbit, choice is good.

Comment

Originally posted by kaidenshi View Post
        Beyond SysV, you have more modern init software like runit, S6, and OpenRC that all follow the classic UNIX paradigm of "do one thing and do it well" for those who don't care for the complexity and feature creep of systemd. For full on desktop/workstation distros, systemd is fine and does what it is intended to, but for embedded and containerized installations one might prefer something smaller and simpler which is why Alpine for example avoids systemd. As with everything else in the Linux orbit, choice is good.
        Alpine does not "avoid" systemd. Systemd is very glibc specific and hence can not work with musl-libc, which Alpine is based on.

Comment

From the article:

SysVinit 3.08 is comprised of just a handful of patches that were upstreamed from Gentoo Linux.
          I thought Gentoo used OpenRC? So why would they care about sysvinit?

Comment

Vorpal Gentoo can be used with systemd, OpenRC , SysVInit, and probably others - the user makes this choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
              I thought Gentoo used OpenRC? So why would they care about sysvinit?
              /sbin/init and other tools like shutdown are still from SysVinit, even when using OpenRC.​

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                Vorpal Gentoo can be used with systemd, OpenRC , SysVInit, and probably others - the user makes this choice.
                Devuan also provides several choices

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                  And as someone whos' used all 3 over the years, I can happily say I prefer systemd, also knowing the commands are the same for almost all distros now makes configuring things a whole lot easier

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Alpine does not "avoid" systemd. Systemd is very glibc specific and hence can not work with musl-libc, which Alpine is based on.
                    I suspect that Alpine still wouldnt go systemd if you did manage to get it working with musl though

Comment

Working...
                    X