Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.3 Features Have A Lot For AMD & Intel, Steam Deck, ASUS Motherboards & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.3 Features Have A Lot For AMD & Intel, Steam Deck, ASUS Motherboards & More

Phoronix: Linux 6.3 Features Have A Lot For AMD & Intel, Steam Deck, ASUS Motherboards & More

The Linux 6.3 stable kernel is likely to be released later today so here is a reminder about the most exciting aspects of this spring kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

Typo "rather than restoring to Retpolines" should be "rather than resorting to Retpolines"

Comment

Michael your link to the 6.3 features are correct but are written 5.3

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Seems good, but how does one gets this/these kernels updates without breaking the current installation?
        I mean, I've see posts on kernel installations but it's always followed by warnings like "don't install this unless you're REALLY sure you need it 'cause it could break parts or all of your system" and/or "wait for your distribution to update it", which in my case "kde neon" (it uses ubuntu as it base) could take month/years.

Comment

Originally posted by miliki View Post
          Seems good, but how does one gets this/these kernels updates without breaking the current installation?
          I mean, I've see posts on kernel installations but it's always followed by warnings like "don't install this unless you're REALLY sure you need it 'cause it could break parts or all of your system" and/or "wait for your distribution to update it", which in my case "kde neon" (it uses ubuntu as it base) could take month/years.
          Use a rolling release (e.g. Arch, Manjaro, etc -- possibly latest Fedora is now also a rolling distro)
          You'll get the latest kernel without breaking anything

on Ubuntu ppl use ppa repos, but I haven't used Ubuntu in 10 years or so

Comment

Except on ancient RedHat installs, I never had a single breakage from upgrading the kernel to the latest stable from mainline.

Comment

You can stay on KDE Neon and use third party repositories like TuxInvader. I didn't test it because I'm on Fedora, but here it's the same i.e. you use external repositories.

Comment

you have two way:

1. find a repository with newest kernel package for your distro (you have to trust the repo maintainer not to do nasty things on your computer)
                2. compile the kernel by yourself from sources.

the second way might seem terrifying at first, but there are plenty of guides on the net. Let's give it a try.

The warning about "breaking the current installation" applies every time you install a new software that is not well tested. The "well tested" threshold is something really really subjective.

Comment

The easiest method, at least for Ubuntu is to get a license for UKUU. When I bought my Ryzen 5600g pro years ago, the official Ubuntu kernel version did not support the integrated Vega graphics. Like you, I did not want to wait for an update or build my own kernel, so I found this alternative. It was well worth the license fee, as it is easy to install new kernel versions and delete old ones without being an expert. The author also releases regular updates, so a perpetual license for $15 is a steal. Note that the official Ubuntu version can be much older than other kernel versions in the repository. For example, I have the official kernel for Ubuntu 22.10 (5.19.0-40-generic) and 6.2.12 installed and can select which version to use on boot. I usually run the latest, but keep the official version as a fail-safe option.

Last edited by trueblue; 23 April 2023, 03:16 PM. Reason: add personal use case

Comment

On Ubuntu, just go through: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

To revert to the current Ubuntu sanctioned kernel, redirect Grub to it. Easy way: https://itsfoss.com/install-grub-customizer-ubuntu/

I have done that multiple times to test some aspect (e.g. performance comparison) and then go back to the "regular" kernel about a few months later (or not.)

Plus: https://itsfoss.com/ppa-guide/ if installing additional ppa's sends shivers through your spine.

It's free of charge.
                    Last edited by domih; 23 April 2023, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X