NTFS3 Kernel Driver Sees Fixes Sent In For Linux 5.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Only available to insider developers on windows11 (confirmed via github)

UPDATE: You might get it via dev channel on Win10 but yeah overall it sucked and I couldn't even get insider to accept any channels, probably wants me on specific insider build of win10 or win11. On top of this you basically need to enable ALL telemetry services... I'll just put up with Chroma420 on Linux after that ordeal!
    Passing through block devices that you can then mount in WSL is available in the first stable release of Windows 11.

Comment

Originally posted by jbean View Post

Passing through block devices that you can then mount in WSL is available in the first stable release of Windows 11.
      As far as I can tell doesn't exist yet!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        As far as I can tell doesn't exist yet!
        https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...sl2-mount-disk it is meant to exist if you have Windows 11.

Windows 11 Build 22000 is the first release of Windows 11

As noted here.

You have to be using WSL2. Of course if you are after some different file system you may have to use a custom WSL2 kernel because the Microsoft default WSL2 kernel did not build all the Linux kernel file system drivers.

So this feature does exist. Not helpful for those still on Windows 10 or before. Does have the advantage of using a Linux kernel native driver. This does remove the need to port a lot of file system drivers to Windows any more.

Comment

Yeah so I figured out the WSL2 thing, yes I had to update the drive to Windows11 and mount drive with WSL2. BUT then you need to share it with SAMBA and network map it to a physical drive letter or steam can't see it (can only see drive letters, kind of limited). Also getting Samba working with the drives on bootup is a MISSION in itself, and far from ideal.

Also performance seems questionable and symlinking is NOT possible (had some apps that did that break when attempting)

I just set one of my drives as NTFS again to eliminated the issue since the NTFS driver(s) under Linux work ALLOT better then any BTRFS/EXT4 drivers under windows!
          Last edited by theriddick; 09 June 2022, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X