NTFS3 Kernel Driver Sees Fixes Sent In For Linux 5.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
    ls -l --time=birth -> btime, i.e. time of creation.
    [...] -lb
    Showing the "time of creation" of a file is not such a common operation (because users have to know that the file has not been restored from a backup, nor created instead of modified and so on; otherwise they are misled) .

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Code:
      $ stat /
      File: /
      Size: 208 Blocks: 0 IO Block: 4096 directory
      Device: 0,52 Inode: 256 Links: 1
      Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 0/ root)
      Access: 2022-03-03 05:42:10.230919736 +0300
      Modify: 2020-07-17 04:06:51.258578586 +0300
      Change: 2022-01-09 14:05:59.390898093 +0300
      Birth: 2020-07-24 08:20:57.152067453 +0300
      Nuff said.

You forgot to say why you think this API should exist.
      I love my files restored from backups having the exact same a/m/c dates as they were originally.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        This shows that you don't understand why its under debugfs. If you read the directions on that feature you would have found it meant to be done on a umount filesystem if possible or in a case you are not going to have a journal event as in a power outage or something causing a journal recovery because if it half way done things and go horrible wrong. Just because debugfs allows you todo something does not mean what you have done is safe.
        Indeed. debugfs pretty much means "you better know what you're doing kid". There are a few things that end up there for lack of a better place tho.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
          You- At least for KDE that's not the case though. When removing NTFS-3G from the system, Dolphin complains about not finding it, instead of just using NTFS3.
          No, this is still "lower down the stack". Dolphin, or any other GUI filemanager will 100% mount disks with NTFS3 if you configure udisks correctly, as I do it myself. You need to configure ntfs3 as the driver for handling NTFS.

Originally posted by theriddick
          I've just been using winbtrfs on windows10 for my other drives so that means they work decently under Linux compared to having them remain NTFS. Additionally I can use zstd compression which is also well supported now.

The ONLY hickup I've had is some mods for games have case sensitive filenames going on even thought their not meant to (slack modders) and in turn errors happen.
          BTRFS has no way to set case insensitivity as far as I can tell without going into FUSE virtual file system route (stuff that!)
          EXT4 allows you to set case insensitivity on a per folder basis which is nice but that isn't really supported under Windows.
          Too bad the winbtrfs driver is unstable beyond comprehension. BSODs galore, volume management from Windows straight up crashes it, deadlock scenarios, corruption all the time, no defrag support. NTFS3 with ACLs enabled is light years ahead in stability than the Windows Btrfs driver. You're better off using WSL to mount Btrfs than using Winbtrfs if you care about your data. Ironically, paragon has an ext4 driver that is much more stable in comparison for Windows, if you're willing to pay

Anyway, as far as I know it is possible to enable case sensitivity in Windows.

Comment

A pertinent udisks bug report: https://github.com/storaged-project/udisks/issues/932

Comment

Originally posted by jbean View Post
              no defrag support
              I'd say this particular point isn't all that much relevant tho: if you're using WinBtrfs you're most likely already dual booting Linux, so just defrag when you boot into that and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

I'd say this particular point isn't all that much relevant tho: if you're using WinBtrfs you're most likely already dual booting Linux, so just defrag when you boot into that and call it a day.
                You're right I suppose, however autodefrag especially is useful for certain desktop use cases. It would be nice to have something that matches it since you can't really simulate it by booting into linux later. That said I agree it's not that high on the priority list, the other issues I've had with it are far worse.

Comment

Mounting BTRFS via WSL looks to be quite complicated. Also hows that performance?

Comment

ou're better off using WSL to mount Btrfs than using Winbtrfs if you care about your data
                    Only available to insider developers on windows11 (confirmed via github)

UPDATE: You might get it via dev channel on Win10 but yeah overall it sucked and I couldn't even get insider to accept any channels, probably wants me on specific insider build of win10 or win11. On top of this you basically need to enable ALL telemetry services... I'll just put up with Chroma420 on Linux after that ordeal!
                    Last edited by theriddick; 06 June 2022, 04:08 AM.

Comment

You're right I suppose, however autodefrag especially is useful for certain desktop use cases. It would be nice to have something that matches it since you can't really simulate it by booting into linux later. That said I agree it's not that high on the priority list, the other issues I've had with it are far worse.
                      Good point.

Comment

Working...
                      X