NTFS3 Kernel Driver Sees Fixes Sent In For Linux 5.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Wow, interesting, great! Now I've not seen statx->stx_btime being implemented anywhere in Linux. Have you? Thunar in XFCE doesn't show it, KDE doesn't seem to show it, midnight commander - nothing, ls from coreutils: "change the default of using modification times; access time (-u): atime, access, use; change time (-c): ctime, status; birth time: birth, creation;" no way to show it

For all intents and purposes it's missing altogether. And kernel 4.11 was released 5 years ago.
    KDE shows it

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post

KDE shows it
      Thanks!

Originally posted by You- View Post

AFAIK Nautilus has it.

According to phoronix, Dolphin also has it.

Might be that the fixes are lower down the stack from where you were looking?
      To be honest I last saw KDE's file properties dialog ages ago, and you're right it's in there. Damn, I need to verify things more thoroughly and I'm sorry for saying falsehoods.

At least my second point stands, there's no API to set the birth time Or maybe it's also been tackled in the meantime?

Comment

That's a relief. Sadly for data exchanging with Windows there isn't really better option than NTFS (unless you want to install third party FS drivers on every Windows machine) and kernel driver is usually more performant than FUSE.
        Last edited by dragon321; 07 June 2022, 09:03 AM.

Comment

It would be very nice if Dolphin and other file managers started to use NTFS3 instead of NTFS-3G where available.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

They say when you fix a bug you introduce another one, so that's probably valid.
            Obligatory xkcd: https://xkcd.com/1739/

Comment

We can imagine people sorting by creation time without taking into account files that have been restored from backups, files that have been created instead of modified and so on :-(

Reading a "creation time" of a file has sense when... users know the absolutely complete history of that file, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                It would be very nice if Dolphin and other file managers started to use NTFS3 instead of NTFS-3G where available.
                Thats lower down the stack. They will use whatever you (your OS/Distro) mounts the drive using. If it uses ntfs-3g, the file managers will use that. If you change your system to use ntfs3, the file managers will use that.

Comment

You- At least for KDE that's not the case though. When removing NTFS-3G from the system, Dolphin complains about not finding it, instead of just using NTFS3.

Comment

Did the maintainer make any comment about their disappearance/unavailability at all?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

POSIX API/glibc can only set/get modification and last access timestamps. No one in over 30 years of Linux has bothered to write functions for working with birth/creation timestamps.

statx() was added five years ago and it allows to fetch the birth time but I've not seen any applications which show it.
                      Dolphin, Nautilus or even the stat command?

Comment

Working...
                      X