Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.14 Drops Its Legacy IDE Code

Phoronix: Linux 5.14 Drops Its Legacy IDE Code

Linux 5.14 has cleared out its legacy IDE code from the kernel that means dropping more than forty thousand lines of code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I agree with this decision

Comment

I vaguely remeber the switch to /dev/sdX. I think I was running Gentoo and compiling my own kernels back then, (haven't used Gentoo for ages) and I remember switching over to the new and fancy driver for my controller, which was probably an IDE or maybe early SATA controller back then. Had to edit fstab of course as well.

Comment

R.I.P. /dev/hda

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
          I vaguely remeber the switch to /dev/sdX. I think I was running Gentoo and compiling my own kernels back then, (haven't used Gentoo for ages) and I remember switching over to the new and fancy driver for my controller, which was probably an IDE or maybe early SATA controller back then. Had to edit fstab of course as well.
          I remember a few PCs ago when I switched from Debian to Arch and doing the initial Arch install.

ls -la /dev

The fuck are my drives at?
          WTF is this /dev/sda,b,c stuff?
          **Reads Wiki**
          OK, so we're labeled like that now.

Comment

Ah, I miss the days when running a HDD meant you had to set the jumper properly first... I'm pretty sure I still have one or two PATA drives stashed away somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Ah, I miss the days when running a HDD meant you had to set the jumper properly first... I'm pretty sure I still have one or two PATA drives stashed away somewhere.
              Yep. When you had to set it to **NAME REDACTED**, **NAME REDACTED**, or Cable Select. Good times.

When I put together a PC last February it was damn near entirely plug and play. All I had to do was set the RAM's profile and drive boot order. Everything else was good to go in regards to a non-overclocked system. It was almost too easy.

Comment

Just took my last IDE disk out of commission last week, still worked fine

Comment

This is really stupid decision. What if someone has an old IDE drive they want to recover data from? To remove the cabability for just 40k lines of code is pretty dumb and shows that most people make tremendously bad software decisions if they think this is a good idea. Its not like the code is in your way if you don't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
                    This is really stupid decision. What if someone has an old IDE drive they want to recover data from? To remove the cabability for just 40k lines of code is pretty dumb and shows that most people make tremendously bad software decisions if they think this is a good idea. Its not like the code is in your way if you don't use it.
                    it still works with the libata based IDE drivers

Comment

Working...
                    X