Linux 5.14 Drops Its Legacy IDE Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
    This is really stupid decision. What if someone has an old IDE drive they want to recover data from? To remove the cabability for just 40k lines of code is pretty dumb and shows that most people make tremendously bad software decisions if they think this is a good idea. Its not like the code is in your way if you don't use it.
    Someone that needs to recover data from an old IDE drive probably knows what they're doing with the old hardware. It's an irrelevant question. OS/2 Museum just had an interesting article about that. Short answer: use a period computer with MS or FreeDOS. :P if a modern one with Linux doesn't work. Duh. The problem is unlikely to be Linux, it's more likely to be UEFI on the modern system.
    Last edited by stormcrow; 29 June 2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I called my Kung Fu teacher "Main" and he looked at me funny. Then I explained to him that we don't use the term "master" anymore. Next he told me to get out of his school. I'm calling the SJW gang to teach him a lesson.
      Make sure they know he has a Black Belt and not a Dark Belt

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I called my Kung Fu teacher "Main" and he looked at me funny. Then I explained to him that we don't use the term "master" anymore. Next he told me to get out of his school. I'm calling the SJW gang to teach him a lesson.
        Was he Master Shifu, by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
          My IDE CD-ROM was always a Slave to a Master IDE HDD.
          Who are we to question its lifestyle choices?

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
            R.I.P. /dev/hda
            Guess you can always rename the device lol.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              BTW, when dealing with these adapters, keep an eye at dmesg and maybe prior learn about the meaning of "usb-storage" and UAS. A certain number of USB disk docks seem to have issues with UAS. I´m not sure, if badly implemented UAS can lead to data loss, but I´d keep an eye at dmesg when operating such adapters/docks.

Comment

Originally posted by jacek23

And he was right. Not every "master" is a "master of slaves", by changing his title to "main" you somehow suggest your relation to him was that of a slave and slave ownem/manager. Master of a student is clearly not-slavery-related use. Context for word usage matters.
                Would you call SJW on "black paint", "black body radiation", "master bedroom", "mastering C++ programming", "ship's master", "black hole".

Replacing "black" with "dark" does not work. Black references specific color, and "dark" just the luminocity. "Green" can also be "dark".
                It was a joke... I had never put my foot in a martial art school.

Comment

Originally posted by jacek23

40k lines of code is not nothing.
                  It often is as it needs maintenance and resources for code maintenance are finite. For example in Spectre/Meltdown times I am pretty sure these 40k lines had to be checked for those vulnerabilities.
                  Moreover just google linux-ide mailing list. There are numerous daily mails there, O(10) monthly patches. So this code just does not "exist" - it takes resources.

Also IDE-USB are available. Or take your old laptop install old linux and use that. It is actually great thing about open source (at least linux kernel and system tools) that it is not so difficult to install say debian from 2002.
                  You need to read more into the stuff you are commenting on.

(Almost) nobody needs to do anything or needs to buy adaptors, as removing Legacy IDE code from the kernel does not mean that IDE support is to be removed.

Comment

Working...
                  X