Linux 5.14 Drops Its Legacy IDE Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
    This is really stupid decision. What if someone has an old IDE drive they want to recover data from? To remove the cabability for just 40k lines of code is pretty dumb and shows that most people make tremendously bad software decisions if they think this is a good idea. Its not like the code is in your way if you don't use it.
    Buy one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
      What if someone has an old IDE drive they want to recover data from?
      RTFA.

Comment

This is good progress. Emphasize 'good' because one can always roll back or multi boot if obsolete functionality is needed. Outside of open source, that is rare or has a cost.

Comment

I'm actually still using a 40GB ATA drive for my BOINC computer. It doesn't matter if it's horribly slow because once the computer is fully booted, it isn't doing hardly anything anyway. 40GB is more than plenty just to run BOINC too.

Comment

I hope all drivers got transfered to the new stack. Then I'll be fine.
            But yes, I definitely used the old stack, it was nice to distinguish by name, hd? was some IDE while sd? would be SCSI or SATA later on.
            I should check this on some of my old HW, I remember I had a fec hiccups on one SiS controllerduring boot on CF card and it would stall and negotiate for some low PIO leven eventually to continue. Was pretty nasty 50 seconds delay.
            Oh well, I start feeling old again, and we're not even talking about (mini)floppies, tapes, ZIP-drives or even punchards. ;-)
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yep. When you had to set it to **NAME REDACTED**, **NAME REDACTED**, or Cable Select. Good times.
              Do you mean "MAIN" and "SECONDARY"?

Comment

My IDE CD-ROM was always a Slave to a Master IDE HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  I agree with this decision
                  I'm relieved to hear that.

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post

I'm relieved to hear that.
                    Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post

Do you mean "MAIN" and "SECONDARY"?
                      I called my Kung Fu teacher "Main" and he looked at me funny. Then I explained to him that we don't use the term "master" anymore. Next he told me to get out of his school. I'm calling the SJW gang to teach him a lesson.

Comment

Working...
                      X