Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syscall User Dispatch Appears Destined For Linux 5.11 To Help Windows Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syscall User Dispatch Appears Destined For Linux 5.11 To Help Windows Games On Linux

Phoronix: Syscall User Dispatch Appears Destined For Linux 5.11 To Help Windows Games On Linux

The Syscall User Dispatch support looks like it should be mainlined for the Linux 5.11 kernel. This functionality is important for modern Windows games running on Linux under Wine / Proton...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fingers crossed that the likes of Rainbow Six Siege and H1Z1 will benefit from this. Haven't played these in years since switching to Linux.

Looking forward to when Valve and partners finally resolve the last major bottleneck for gaming on linux: drm and anticheat

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
      Looking forward to when Valve and partners finally resolve the last major bottleneck for gaming on linux: drm and anticheat
      I feel this is really the only thing holding back Linux gaming; pretty much everything runs at this point without anticheat and DRM

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post

I feel this is really the only thing holding back Linux gaming; pretty much everything runs at this point without anticheat and DRM
        You still need DXVK to get around certain issues though. The Out of the Box experience is still a bit lacking

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post

There is still some work to be done in mfplat area. AFAIK syscall user dispatch shouldn't magically resolve anticheat problems, but long-standing DRM issues in some titles can get fixes with this new functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
            You still need DXVK to get around certain issues though. The Out of the Box experience is still a bit lacking
            DXVK is not only needed to get around certain issues, it's an essential part of the current Wine gaming stack (along with the likes of VKD3D and FAudio), so any talk about Linux gaming (via Wine at least) already includes them by default. As for a good out of the box experience, there is a multitude of tools out there to help you, the most prominent of which are Proton and Lutris.

Comment

Originally posted by simburde View Post
              There is still some work to be done in mfplat area. AFAIK syscall user dispatch shouldn't magically resolve anticheat problems, but long-standing DRM issues in some titles can get fixes with this new functionality.
              It really does depend on why particular anti-cheats are not working. There are some anti-cheats that install drivers that override windows syscalls some of those problems could be worked around with this work.

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
                dxvk comes out of the box with steam

Comment

I seem to remember some Chinese students have made similar attempt bazzilion years ago - kernel module that implemented some of Win syscalls.
                  I forgot the name and it vanished from my bookmarks...

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                    I seem to remember some Chinese students have made similar attempt bazzilion years ago - kernel module that implemented some of Win syscalls.
                    I forgot the name and it vanished from my bookmarks...
                    You would be thinking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longene this is a different beast. Longene idea was to make a kernel that supported Windows and Linux applications at the same time. Longene required moving lots of parts of wine that are userspace into kernel space. Also the longene idea of running windows and linux drivers in the same kernel space this is trouble waiting to happen in a big way.

Syscall user dispatch is a very different beast. Wine keeps all it core parts userspace and applications attempting a windows syscall are sent back to user space.

Comment

Working...
                    X