Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syscall User Dispatch Appears Destined For Linux 5.11 To Help Windows Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piorunz
    replied
    Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
    Does anybody here have any idea if Syscall User Dispatch might eventually help in fixing support for Star Wars: Squadrons in multiplayer mode? The anti-cheat software being used in this game is Easy Anti-Cheat (EAC). https://www.protondb.com/app/1222730
    Why you playing DRM games anyway? By supporting this game, you supporting this madness. Just use GOG.

Leave a comment:

• SteamPunker
    replied
    Does anybody here have any idea if Syscall User Dispatch might eventually help in fixing support for Star Wars: Squadrons in multiplayer mode? The anti-cheat software being used in this game is Easy Anti-Cheat (EAC). https://www.protondb.com/app/1222730

Leave a comment:

• piorunz
    replied
    Originally posted by scirocco View Post

Some of the games on Gog are drm free, however most new games does have drm in their gog versions also.
    Can you give an example of such game please?

Leave a comment:

• scirocco
    replied
    Originally posted by piorunz View Post
    DRM or anticheat? Haven't had any problems with that since I started buying games on GOG instead of Steam.
    Some of the games on Gog are drm free, however most new games does have drm in their gog versions also.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    At the moment my primary objective is to respect the law. My secondary objective is to be entertained. My tertiary objective is to support (drm-)free software.

In the past my primary objective was to support free software and I refused to use DRM or non-free software. I stuck to it for about 4 years but in the end it did not work out. Not able to be productive in a business environment was actually the biggest problem. Philosophically I agree it's wrong. Unfortunately the opportunity costs of avoiding such systems are just too high for me. Not being able to play games or watch content that my community talked about sucked but I could live with it at the time. I agree with you that if I support DRM I can't complain about it. That said, I still avoid most Denuvo titles. I want to buy Doom, Titanfall 2, and Battlefield V but have not due to the craziness that is Denuvo.

Whether I am cynical, pessimistic, and or pragmatic... The amount of people that care just won't make a big difference. I believe that a lot more will be required to change the way the industry works. Nevertheless I'm happy that you are trying. Perhaps I'm just getting old and grumpy...

Ending on a more hopeful note. I'm happy to get Cyberpunk 2077 on GoG and I was delighted to find people still attempting and discussing this recently

Leave a comment:

• piorunz
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

You're funny.

I am pro-GOG and support them as much as I can, however simply not playing games that use DRM is not a solution in my opinion.
    #DayAgainstDRM

https://www.defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm/2020

Being AntiDRM is a thing now.

Leave a comment:

• piorunz
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

You're funny.

I am pro-GOG and support them as much as I can, however simply not playing games that use DRM is not a solution in my opinion.
    It is a solution. Simply don't buy DRM. It's like moaning Linux doesn't have market-share while still using Windows. Make that step and stop using DRM protected games, they won't get your money at least. If you happily paying for DRM games, you can't moan.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    DRM or anticheat? Haven't had any problems with that since I started buying games on GOG instead of Steam.
    You're funny.

Leave a comment:

• piorunz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    I seem to remember some Chinese students have made similar attempt bazzilion years ago - kernel module that implemented some of Win syscalls.
    I forgot the name and it vanished from my bookmarks...
    You would be thinking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longene this is a different beast. Longene idea was to make a kernel that supported Windows and Linux applications at the same time. Longene required moving lots of parts of wine that are userspace into kernel space. Also the longene idea of running windows and linux drivers in the same kernel space this is trouble waiting to happen in a big way.

Syscall user dispatch is a very different beast. Wine keeps all it core parts userspace and applications attempting a windows syscall are sent back to user space.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X