Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Ryzen 9 5950X Dominate On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Ryzen 9 5950X Dominate On Linux

The AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and Ryzen 9 5950X are hands-down incredible winners. While processor company marketing claims are sometimes dubious and not necessarily relevant to Linux users and their open-source workloads/software, after testing the Ryzen 9 5900X and 5950X the past several weeks the performance has been incredibly compelling with significant single and multi-threaded performance uplift over Zen 2 and easily thrashing Intel's current desktop offerings with over 200 benchmarks conducted for launch-day.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great work AMD!
    Bringing some more balance to the severely tilted ecosystem!

Comment

Kinda weird (in a good way) how it's actually better than they said it was going to be.

Comment

That's pretty good...

Now, we just need good options in mobile area, especially with AMD+AMD combos, and we are 100% covered on Linux.

Comment

I want one - or two. Seriously, that it is impressive work, Michael and impressive results. Showing my age, but it reminds me is many ways of the old K7 Athlon versus Pentium II days.
          GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by ivan.cwb View Post
            That's pretty good...

Now, we just need good options in mobile area, especially with AMD+AMD combos, and we are 100% covered on Linux.
            AMD should license some GPU cores from NVidia or Intel, for an kickass APU without horrendous drivers.

Comment

Intel wins in the AV1 decoding test and is therefore the fastest! /s

Good to see AMD making such great progress in CPU and GPU, and good for us consumers to have some competition in those markets again.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

AMD should license some GPU cores from NVidia or Intel, for an kickass APU without horrendous drivers.
                Well just wait for Navi APUs (RDNA1) or Big Navi (RDNA2) APU...everything around now is AFAIK still vega based..so RX 580 league.

They haven't used the larger calibers yet.

Comment

Everything as expected however I am not a fan that AMD has OC'ed their CPUs to the absolute limit this time around in order to beat Intel at 1080p by a few percent and by doing so worsened their thermals quite a lot. It would be nice to see all these CPUs with TDP being lowered by 5-20% - that could make them a lot more power efficient and cooler.

https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-ryzen-...emperature.png (75C under load FFS).

Also, and I know I've repeated it a dozen times already but I don't understand why AMD has the right (and not only that people somehow find a justification for that) to increase their prices so much. Intel used to release new substantially faster CPU architectures without doing this: Sandy Bridge, Haswell, Sky Lake were all a lot faster than previous generation CPUs without price hikes and in certain cases even cost substantially less than their predecessors, e.g. the Intel Core i5-2500K was released for $216 while the Intel Core i7-920 cost $305.

People keep saying that $50 is practically nothing, only AMD has decided to start the lineup with the 5600X which costs $300, vs the 3600 which costs $200. It's not a $50 price hike, it's a $100/50%(!) price hike. Intel would have been decimated by the internet mob if they had ever attempted to be sneaky like this. I don't give a damn about the X suffix because it doesn't change anything and it's just a marketing differentiation. There's no 5600 CPU for $250.

Lastly, AMD is playing a monopoly card and it's just ugly. They force people to buy the 5900X/5950X CPUs because both the 3600/3700X were the most popular models for the Ryzen 3000 series, while for this generation, the 5800X is the worst (!) investment in terms of the bang for the buck. Margins decide everything not only for Intel and NVIDIA, as AMD has happily joined the "we'll rip you off because we are the fastest" club. I'm quite appalled by all of this.
                  Last edited by birdie; 05 November 2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Feeding troll? ...Yes..No?
                    ...No

edit: (ok a bit: show the full picture https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...-5800x/19.html)
                    Last edited by CochainComplex; 05 November 2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X