No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Ryzen 9 5950X Dominate On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd suggest to ignore birdie. This person is well known to be an Intel and NVIDIA fanboy with near zero fact-based arguments. Main held position is "entitled linux users do not like Intel and NVIDIA much, I must defend these brands".
    Last edited by drakonas777; 05 November 2020, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I don't get the complaints about the pricing. AMD now has the best silicon on the x86 market! These are premium products, it's normal to pay some extra for those. Note that the prices are still not anywhere close to what Intel asked for in Bulldozer times.

Comment

It seems madman attacked this innocent thread.

Comment

They are nice, but indeed, the performance / price sucks big time, especially if you live in Europe where 50 dollars increase means 100 euros increase and then you have to pay another 100 euros for a good cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

You thought I didn't? The three Ryzen 5000 CPUs in the chart are among the worst in terms of value per dollar.
            Yeah.. They are premium chips.... they are below the chips the compete against, but above budget chips, and their introduction will make the last generation more budget... Are you complaining premium hardware is premium??

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
              I'd suggest to ignore birdie. This person is well known to be an Intel and NVIDIA fanboy with near zero fact-based arguments. Main held position is "entitled linux users do not like Intel and NVIDIA much, I must defend these brands".
              With all respect, in Hardware Unboxed (who does windows benchmarks), in performance per dollar in all producitivity etc. workloads 3950X is better per dollar then 5950X only time 5950X is better per dollar is in games but by very small margin. Here it is totally not diffrent situation to Pascal vs Turing where sure Turing gave us something faster and something new, but perf/$ sticked around same what was dissappointment for most. I am still happy technology evolves as well competition, but here 5000 serie is only atractive if you are AMD fan and you are gamer or you simply buy flagship models. In typical usage/productivity seems 3000 often might hold better efficiency. I think AMD just slighty too much increased prices.

In a lot of graphs if you include that Intel CPUs, as well older AMD CPUs can be bought cheaper then Phoronix lists makes them often better value by buying higher tier model.

Comment

All we need now is inventory

Comment

Originally posted by birdie
                  It's best to ignore rampant AMD fanboys because so far I've posted facts (Intel's pricing strategy) and charts which are replicated here on Phoronix.
                  It's not a matter of fanboyism, because it seems all you do in Phoronix, no matter what the subject is, is to complain. It doesn't matter whether the things you complain about are deliberate or legitimate, you're just whiny and we're all tired of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    They are nice, but indeed, the performance / price sucks big time, especially if you live in Europe where 50 dollars increase means 100 euros increase and then you have to pay another 100 euros for a good cooler.
                    Totally worth it, considering you get free education and healthcare.

Comment

How is it possible to get such a big and significant improvement in IPC on the shitty x86 architecture?
                      Isn't the x86 architecture so mature and optimized by now that there is little room for improvement?

Comment

Working...
                      X