AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Ryzen 9 5950X Dominate On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Everything as expected however I am not a fan that AMD has OC'ed their CPUs to the absolute limit this time around in order to beat Intel at 1080p by a few percent and by doing so worsened their thermals quite a lot. It would be nice to see all these CPUs with TDP being lowered by 5-20% - that could make them a lot more power efficient and colder.
    According to most reviews, the wattage (and therefore thermals) aren't really any different compared to last gen.
    Also, and I know I've repeated it a dozen times already but I don't understand why AMD has the right (and not only that people somehow find a justification for that) to increase their prices so much. Intel used to release new substantially faster CPU architectures without doing this: Sandy Bridge, Haswell, Sky Lake were all a lot faster than previous generation CPUs without price hikes and in certain cases even cost substantially less than their predecessors, e.g. the Intel Core i5-2500K was released for $216 while the Intel Core i7-920 cost $305.
    The right? Any company can charge whatever the hell they want. It's called supply and demand. You're not obligated to buy their stuff. You don't need to have these. If you don't like the price, don't buy it. That being said, I don't like the prices of these either, so, I won't buy them.
    Lastly, AMD is playing a monopoly card and it's just ugly. They force people to buy the 5900X/5950X CPUs because both the 3600/3700X were the most popular models for the Ryzen 3000 series, while for this generation, the 5800X is the worst (!) investment in terms of the bang for the buck. Margins decide everything not only for Intel and NVIDIA, as AMD has happily joined the "we'll rip you off because we are the fastest" club. I'm quite appalled by all of this.
    I don't think you know what a monopoly is... AMD is far from being a monopoly. Intel still sells more units and yields a greater profit than AMD.

Comment

Looks like it's almost time to upgrade my 2700X. And a drop-in replacement too, no new mobo needed. Thanks AMD

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        Feeding troll? ...Yes..No?
        ...No
        It's like he already forgot AMD's Bulldozer days, when intel was raping the market with $1000 quad core i7, and a whopping $1700 for the 10 core Broadwell i7. Now we have AMD giving us 16 (sixteen!) very high performance cores for $799 and it's "too expensive".

Funny how the trolls always have such short memories.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

It's like he already forgot AMD's Bulldozer days, when intel was raping the market with $1000 quad core i7, and a whopping $1700 for the 10 core Broadwell i7. Now we have AMD giving us 16 (sixteen!) very high performance cores for $799 and it's "too expensive".

Funny how the trolls always have such short memories.
          Yes and this is just 4 years ago... i7-6950X

BTW.: The troll was fearing to show the TDP chart which indeed slams his TDP claims.
          https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...-5800x/19.html

...one more thing.....one should explain him that denser circuits with the same current and voltage tend to get hotter then less dense circuits.
          The hint here 10nm vs. 7nm.
          Last edited by CochainComplex; 05 November 2020, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
            Looks like it's almost time to upgrade my 2700X. And a drop-in replacement too, no new mobo needed. Thanks AMD
            Arent the newer gen intel boards "slightly" more expensive than the previouse gen - but it is needed?
            Last edited by CochainComplex; 05 November 2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

And here's a nice chart of how AMD has turned in Intel/NVIDIA. Many 10th generation Intel CPUs are better in terms of value per dollar than AMD offerings - not to mention they come with a stock cooler (which only the 5600X has) and have an iGPU while AMD requires a discrete GPU.

Pitchforks for Intel have turned into but "AMD is the fastest so they can rip us off because we are all of it!" Yeah, I'm a troll if stating facts is trolling.

Maybe people should stop thinking of AMD as an underdog and start realizing nothing monopolistic is alien to it.

Comment

And here's a nice chart of how AMD has turned in Intel/NVIDIA. Many 10th generation Intel CPUs are better in terms of value per dollar than AMD offerings - not to mention they come with a stock cooler (which only the 5600X has) and have an iGPU while AMD requires a discrete GPU.

Pitchforks for Intel have turned into but "AMD is the fastest so they can rip us off because we are all of it!" Yeah, I'm a troll if stating facts is trolling.

Maybe people should stop thinking of AMD as an underdog and start realizing nothing monopolistic is alien to it.
                You do realize it is better to have higher numbers on that graph than lower ones? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

You do realize it is better to have higher numbers on that graph than lower ones? LOL
                  You thought I didn't? The three Ryzen 5000 CPUs in the chart are among the worst in terms of value per dollar.

Comment

Still better, than competing Intel parts. Which means you are writing a nonsense about being worse than Intel.

Comment

That chart only shows me that AMD top end CPUs have better value than Intel top end... still, I'm not sure why you need to go to another bench web, Michael already gave us an insight of the value of this CPUs against Intel counter-part and the previous generation:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                      X