No announcement yet.

Cachy Is The Latest Effort To Provide A Better Linux CPU Scheduler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peopleo really got off topic in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post

Would be business as usual - with same criteria as every time:
      code quality, maintainability, making use of kernel components (instead of pulling in code which already exists), having advantages, special use cases - maybe even used by a distribution or in wide use at companies ...
      Such a core component should have high quality to get in - and really proved superiority in general cases to become the default.
      That means its developer(s) must keep working and being willing to do large changes to have a chance to get it mainlined ... not an easy task.
      Not only that, if it doesn't show benefits for servers, it doesn't stand a chance. That was the problem with BFS (which became MuQSS) and why Kolivas went on a rant about the kernel development and at one point quit all Linux stuff

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I had to listen to this dude ramble on for 3 and a half minutes before getting to the goddamn point. Because I've come across a lot of that crap, I fscking hate video tutorials.
        Rembering the day when game walkthrough used to have written instructions and maps instead of YouTube vids...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          On what grounds will it be rejected I wonder? MuQSS hasn't found its way into the kernel - I really much doubt this one will.
          MuQSS was never rejected from the kernel because it was never submitted for inclusion into the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

MuQSS was never rejected from the kernel because it was never submitted for inclusion into the kernel.
            Isn't MUQSS a rename of BFS?

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Use mpv. No ads, nothing. Just the video.

$ mpv https://youtu.be/jt1xl3wtZ0s
              Hi

Thanks for presenting this tool, didn't know it.
              Since it's a command line tool, would it be possible to save a video as a local file with it, like something as simple as mpv urltovideo > mylocalsave.mp4?

I hate how youtube loads so little of data at any time requiring constant internet connexion (and especially on Android how Youtube pauses as soon as you leave focus). This could help setting up for long travel times without internet...

Comment

In the past some of my posts were pending for review for so long that somebody already repeated my thoughts in another post, so my post became redundant, yet the review process lets a troll steal the whole topic - there are like 5 posts about the new scheduler in the 5 pages of this thread. Be more strict to keep the discussions worthwhile or be less strict so legitimate users can get their posts out sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by rajcina12 View Post
                  In the past some of my posts were pending for review for so long that somebody already repeated my thoughts in another post, so my post became redundant, yet the review process lets a troll steal the whole topic - there are like 5 posts about the new scheduler in the 5 pages of this thread. Be more strict to keep the discussions worthwhile or be less strict so legitimate users can get their posts out sooner.
                  It's a known shortcoming of the forum software. It blocks posts for seemingly random reasons. They're usually approved shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Citan View Post

Hi

Thanks for presenting this tool, didn't know it.
                    Since it's a command line tool, would it be possible to save a video as a local file with it, like something as simple as mpv urltovideo > mylocalsave.mp4?

I hate how youtube loads so little of data at any time requiring constant internet connexion (and especially on Android how Youtube pauses as soon as you leave focus). This could help setting up for long travel times without internet...
                    You're welcome - and sure, you can use youtube-dl to download the video. (this is what mpv uses behind the scene)

$ youtube-dl link-here

For mpv there is also a configuration file located at /etc/mpv/mpv.conf

Some good options to have set in there are:

hwdec=auto
                    fs=yes

which will enable hardware decoding and open the video full screen on each launch. Lots of other options within mpv so be sure to type: $ man mpv for different shortcuts.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      What a bunch of cry babies...

Don't want YouTube keeping tabs on you? Open it in a private window, don't log in. Problem solved.
                      I open any website on private windows. The only one I don't is Phoronix. It even is my home page...

The problem is not going to YouTube. The problem is the embed...

Comment

Working...
                      X