Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9 Dropping The Unicore 32-bit RISC Architecture

Phoronix: Linux 5.9 Dropping The Unicore 32-bit RISC Architecture

It's arguably long overdue but with the just-opened Linux 5.9 kernel cycle the Unicore32 CPU architecture is being removed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i'm sure both of its users are furious about it.

Comment

Excellent. It will be a great day when 32bit is dismissed to save time in programmation.

Comment

somehow on phoenix everything is long overdue and obvious. Wondering why they are not an OS vendor or developer. Surely it would be the best plumbed OS of all times ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          somehow on phoenix everything is long overdue and obvious. Wondering why they are not an OS vendor or developer. Surely it would be the best plumbed OS of all times ;-)
          Removing support for architectures probably shouldn't ever be done until it becomes obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Excellent. It will be a great day when 32bit is dismissed to save time in programmation.
            I feel like maybe you misunderstood what this was about.

Comment

i guess the hardware is not old enough

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

I feel like maybe you misunderstood what this was about.
                he always does. When he sees 32 bit he always assumes Desktop Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  To be fair, I'm suprised that Torvalds didn't react very poorly and blocked the patches when someone told him that the only way to compile for this target is to use a binary toolchain provided by the manufacturer. That's some next-level bs.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                    i guess the hardware is not old enough
                    I guess they are waiting for someone to rewrite it in Rust.

Comment

Working...
                    X