Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.9 Dropping The Unicore 32-bit RISC Architecture

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 5.9 Dropping The Unicore 32-bit RISC Architecture

    Phoronix: Linux 5.9 Dropping The Unicore 32-bit RISC Architecture

    It's arguably long overdue but with the just-opened Linux 5.9 kernel cycle the Unicore32 CPU architecture is being removed...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ping-Unicore32

  • #2
    i'm sure both of its users are furious about it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Excellent. It will be a great day when 32bit is dismissed to save time in programmation.

      Comment


      • #4
        somehow on phoenix everything is long overdue and obvious. Wondering why they are not an OS vendor or developer. Surely it would be the best plumbed OS of all times ;-)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rene View Post
          somehow on phoenix everything is long overdue and obvious. Wondering why they are not an OS vendor or developer. Surely it would be the best plumbed OS of all times ;-)
          Removing support for architectures probably shouldn't ever be done until it becomes obvious.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Excellent. It will be a great day when 32bit is dismissed to save time in programmation.
            I feel like maybe you misunderstood what this was about.

            Comment


            • #7
              i guess the hardware is not old enough

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

                I feel like maybe you misunderstood what this was about.
                he always does. When he sees 32 bit he always assumes Desktop Linux.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rene View Post
                  somehow on phoenix everything is long overdue and obvious. Wondering why they are not an OS vendor or developer. Surely it would be the best plumbed OS of all times ;-)
                  To be fair, I'm suprised that Torvalds didn't react very poorly and blocked the patches when someone told him that the only way to compile for this target is to use a binary toolchain provided by the manufacturer. That's some next-level bs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by loganj View Post
                    i guess the hardware is not old enough
                    I guess they are waiting for someone to rewrite it in Rust.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X