Systemd 245 Shipping Soon With Systemd-Homed, Systemd-Repart Partitioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

We already have eudev and elogind, hopefully we would get a ehomed, although it's not nearly as far as important.
    You're just going to end up with esystemd at this point.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      sytemd-homed to continue to be expanded upon in future releases

Comment

A partition manager and a /home manager by a project that lazily leaves over a thousand open bugs laying around unaddressed for years at a time.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          It's really nice to see that every systemd release tries to bring some organization into the GNU/Linux madness.
          I don't consider GNU/Linux madness. I consider it freedom. Everybody is free to try whatever they want. And after so many years both some good practices and some sore points have been revealed. That's what I think systemd is trying to do. Whether it took the best path to do it is another discussion, but I have already reaped some benefits so there's that.

Comment

These use cases are too narrow in my opinion.

Why implement a partition manager that can only add and grow partitions? I'll still need to use fdisk/gdisk for shrinking and deleting, so why not just continue to use them for everything?

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
              Why implement a partition manager that can only add and grow partitions? I'll still need to use fdisk/gdisk for shrinking and deleting, so why not just continue to use them for everything?
              Because on ARM devices "growing the partition to fit the media" is a pretty common thing.
              Last edited by -MacNuke-; 05 February 2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                I hope homed isn't going to be automatically enabled when I upgrade. I understand the benefits and it's a nice option, but I really don't want it on my system. I like my /home the way it is.
                I heard that it will encrypt the /home folders of nonbelievers and throw away the key as a punishment for their sins.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  A partition manager and a /home manager by a project that lazily leaves over a thousand open bugs laying around unaddressed for years at a time.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?
                  Don't look at the number of open bugs of the kernel then, or your head will explode.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
                    Why implement a partition manager that can only add and grow partitions?
                    because they made it for their own specific usecase, which is partitioning stuff on first boot or expanding a partition to cover the whole drive (which is necessary after you have "installed" a minimal disk image to a new disk, it makes no sense to ship images 300GB big when you can ship a 3GB image that auto-expands on first boot).

They didn't want to replace the current tools, they just want to decouple their project from such tools for their own usecase.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      because they made it for their own specific usecase, which is partitioning stuff on first boot or expanding a partition to cover the whole drive (which is necessary after you have "installed" a minimal disk image to a new disk, it makes no sense to ship images 300GB big when you can ship a 3GB image that auto-expands on first boot).
                      parted /dev/sdX resize n 100%

Comment

Working...
                      X