Systemd 245 Shipping Soon With Systemd-Homed, Systemd-Repart Partitioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I heard that it will encrypt the /home folders of nonbelievers and throw away the key as a punishment for their sins.
    No! No! I swear I'm a believer! Okay, so maybe I'm an a la carte believer. Can't I keep part of my /home?

Comment

All I know is I said "what the fuck" out loud when I read about growing XFS. Using file system that grows but can't shrink sucks and is the one thing I worry about with Stadia.

Is the systemd XFS stuff secretly intertwined with Stadia? Both the fuckers are coming out of Red Hat so it's not that far fetched...

I'm gonna go eat some breakfast and install FreeBSD. Y'all have a nice day.

EDIT: I mean Stratis up there, not Stadia. I'm gonna leave it as-is because it's a pretty funny mess up.
      Last edited by skeevy420; 05 February 2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Welcome to the dark side friend. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Don't look at the number of open bugs of the kernel then, or your head will explode.
          I can change my kernel. I can compile my own to fit my own criteria. I don't use systemd, but am I wrong - on a systemd distro you can't even change the version it is using or you will bork the system? I can roll back my kernel, try experimental new kernels, stick with a conservative LTS kernel, compile my own, do all kinds of things with the kernel. It sounds like with systemd, you are much more handcuffed.

Also, the kernel isn't volunteering to resize my partitions. That's dangerous territory.

Comment

So how do you disable this shit?

Comment

All I know is I said "what the fuck" out loud when I read about growing XFS. Using file system that grows but can't shrink sucks and is the one thing I worry about with Stadia.

Is the systemd XFS stuff secretly intertwined with Stadia? Both the fuckers are coming out of Red Hat so it's not that far fetched...
              You seem confused about something. Stadia is a Google cloud gaming service. XFS originally was developed by SGI. If you want to deal with shrinking, you can always use LVM thin provisioning

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

You seem confused about something. Stadia is a Google cloud gaming service. XFS originally was developed by SGI. If you want to deal with shrinking, you can always use LVM thin provisioning
                LOL. I was.

Meant Stratis.

I ate that breakfast so my brain is working now.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  I can change my kernel. I can compile my own to fit my own criteria.
                  Is systemd different in this regard?

Also, are you actually able to close even a single meaningful kernel bug in your self-compiled kernel at all?

on a systemd distro you can't even change the version it is using or you will bork the system?
                  Newer versions are retrocompatible.

For using older versions it depends from the rest of the system. If the version you want to use is too old the rest of the system will not work properly as it wants features that are not there.

But this is true of any core library and OS component. Can you run latest Plasma without latest KDE libraries and/or QT? Maybe? Maybe not? What about GNOME?

What about running BlueZ and expecting working bluetooth audio with an ancient PulseAudio where this feature was not supported or buggy?

Also, the kernel isn't volunteering to resize my partitions. That's dangerous territory.
                  Yeah, the kernel is only responsible of writing anything to disk and reading anything from disk, encryption, volume management and software raid.

And it isn't an optional, it's not "volunteering" or asking nicely. It's literally Hitler. You can't disable the kernel functionality if you want to use a disk.

Comment

XFS's ability to resize is entirely based on the design of XFS and has nothing to do with systemd, Linux did not even design XFS and Linux's own filesystem ext4 has shrinking support. You don't have to use systemd to manage partitions. Neither do you have to use systemd to manage /home. The systemd features added here are optional and not required to be used. So no one is going to take over your /home or your partitions. There is nothing wrong with systemd adding another way to do things. If you use systemd, you are not even required to start your services from a unit file and can still start services from a sysv init file. No one can seem to understand any of these facts.

If you are interested in resizing you can look at other options such as btrfs or LVM or ext4 , or if you really want something that is heavy duty, CephFS. With btrfs, you can shrink the devices btrfs uses. I would avoid resizing however and use one partition if possible.

So, if you go to FreeBSD, you are doing so for nothing based on a bunch of myths and false information.
                    Last edited by Neraxa; 05 February 2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                      So how do you disable this shit?
                      Installing FreeBSD

Comment

Working...
                      X