ZFS On Linux Landing Workaround For Linux 5.0 Kernel Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

The products I listed were not tinkertoy consumer devices, they are heavy duty enterprise equipment costing $thousands. With the exception of the Sony PS4/PS4 of course.
    Well, thanks But I used to make these "tinkertoy consumer devices" for a living and I'm not sure how I should take it

Beside that, numbers are numbers. And more and more enterprise subsystems are based upon the idea of software-defined networking - and those are linux-based.

I won't dispute the quality of the FreeBSD network stack - it's good. But the linux stack is better and better and it's far easier to find linux engineers than BSD ones.
    Last edited by Emmanuel Deloget; 20 January 2019, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
      frankly when people like you appear i decide to *not* implement what they cry for even after i would have considered it
      You don't have to decide to not implement something, because you don't implement anything anyway and can't even finish a hello world without copy pasting it.

Comment

do you guys need a ruler to get this over with?

Comment

Go go we are almost 100! https://www.change.org/p/oracle-relicense-zfs-to-gplv2

Comment

did you read the thread?
            that petition is completly pointless for ZOL
            is not, you don't understand the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by ghibli View Post

is not, you don't understand the goal.
              What is the goal? First off, ZoL is based on the OpenSolaris code, but there is plenty of code owned by others too. It also uses some parts of OpenSolaris/Illumos that are not ZFS. If Oracle offered all of that under a GPL license, others would still need to approve it. Most of us would likely want to go with a dual license rather than the GPL, but getting all parties to agree on a license change will require contacting up to a few hundred people. A license change won’t get the code into mainline though because Linus Torvalds requires signed off from Oracle on that and a mere license change won’t be the same as providing signed off.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post

What is the goal? First off, ZoL is based on the OpenSolaris code, but there is plenty of code owned by others too. It also uses some parts of OpenSolaris/Illumos that are not ZFS. If Oracle offered all of that under a GPL license, others would still need to approve it. Most of us would likely want to go with a dual license rather than the GPL, but getting all parties to agree on a license change will require contacting up to a few hundred people. A license change won’t get the code into mainline though because Linus Torvalds requires signed off from Oracle on that and a mere license change won’t be the same as providing signed off.
                Even if you don't get mainline getting driver to GPL compatible license would allow you to use all the provided features of the Linux kernel.

Doing a license change is not simple. Also you have the problem due to not correctly licensing is even of Oracle did provide a sign off now you would still be required to go around and ask for developer permissions as well. Its all due to the way CDDL conflits.

Comment

BSD is good, no question - but claim it#s better because some large company has based it's shit on top of it don't mean anything as "the BSD license was nicer for them"
                  I'm not "claiming" anything. See here, FreeBSD crushes Linux in TCP/IP networking performance, especially on 10g: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...reebsd12&num=3 Fact: FreeBSD is the superior choice for building network appliances, because it performs better than Linux in TCP/IP networking.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    I'm not "claiming" anything. See here, FreeBSD crushes Linux in TCP/IP networking performance, especially on 10g: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...reebsd12&num=3 Fact: FreeBSD is the superior choice for building network appliances, because it performs better than Linux in TCP/IP networking.
                    Enterprise actually prizes reliability over performance. Fact most folks in Phoronix tend to ignore while pointing out pro-s and con-s or trying to prove their love-child's superiority.

And on that note. BSD also has firewalls with saner designs. Let's not forget that. Linux firewall is next best thing to being unmanagable without GUI assistance, unless you are dealing with simple confs.

I dislike FreeBSD switching ZFS code bases. Traditional one has most kinks hammered out of it already and it's been stable for more than decade. No way ZoL/ZoF would come without some major FUBAR's. Comparable to implementing SMP ages a go.

Comment

well, some generic benchmark numbers are nice for penis enlargement but a long as i get 10g easily from a virtual machine to my desktop and back it don't impress me that much
                      Good for you, glad your standards are so easily met. Enterprise business has much higher standards however.

Comment

Working...
                      X