Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
    won't happen, go an whine
    Last post you told me to stop whining, now you tell me to go and whine.

And then you wonder why I call you a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Yeah, people that say "Just have Oracle re-license it" don't understand the problem. (and they don't understand Oracle either) Even if they did this, it would not give us OpenZFS or ZoL.

It's a real shame too because ZFS could be a universal cross platform file system being that it runs on Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Solaris/Illumos and there are experimental builds for Windows 10 and even Haiku. It's good in the datacenter and good('ish) in the home. I think in order to know where to go with this we need a legal judgement to find out if the CDDL is actually incompatible with the GPL like the FSF/GNU says it is. Ubuntu has been standing opposed to them and in violation for what.. 3 years now? Maybe ZoL should make their own distro based on CentOS? hmm.. if it burns in legal fire then maybe bcachefs is the future.
      I am willing to push to get all of Oracle's kernel code removed so that we can create a module that lacks Oracle's copyrights if Linus is willing to mainline ZFS in return. I outlined the proposal here:

Recent events WRT Linux 5.0 have made me reconsider user requests to pursue mainline inclusion. Linus Torvalds told me in person in 2014 that he requires signed off from Oracle to merge the code. T...

The matter is up to Linus Torvalds now.

Comment

well, without a brain you don't realize that you should go to your mama or dad whining and not here where nobody gives a shit about it
        Yawn. You seem to give a lot of shit for what I write considering you reply to what I post when I'm not even talking to you in the first place. Classic kid trying to talk big now.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
          I am willing to push to get all of Oracle's kernel code removed so that we can create a module that lacks Oracle's copyrights if Linus is willing to mainline ZFS in return. I outlined the proposal here:

Recent events WRT Linux 5.0 have made me reconsider user requests to pursue mainline inclusion. Linus Torvalds told me in person in 2014 that he requires signed off from Oracle to merge the code. T...

The matter is up to Linus Torvalds now.
          Its not up to Linus Torvalds. Mainlining yes Linus may agree but you need maintainers of distributions and the like to also agree this very much require cleaning up the licence first.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Oooh, I see what they did and it is beautiful, they added code to detect on compile time if the kernel exposes the symbols.

This means that if a distro decides to patch their own kernel to expose them again (which is easy) the ZOL module will be built to use them.
            This is brilliant.

I run Gentoo and compile my own kernel
            I'll just patch the kernel myself

Comment

well, i am entertained by your stupidity and don't want it stop :-)
              Oh really? Earlier you said:
              i want you to either stop whining
              So which one is it? Either a liar, a bipolar moron, or just using cool comebacks you googled like most kids do.

Comment

you entertain me well and to not stop i need to fire you app which is easy in case of cluttered brains like yours
                frankly when people like you appear i decide to *not* implement what they cry for even after i would have considered it
                Thou has no respect for His Utter Brillance! You bad people!

(but yeah, agreed ; this is kind of fun)

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post
                  I'm not sure about that. Most consumer routers are linux-based and that count for a high number of network devices. In France alone, all consumer DSL and fiber routers are linux-based (that's 15-20 million devices).
                  The products I listed were not tinkertoy consumer devices, they are heavy duty enterprise equipment costing $thousands. With the exception of the Sony PS4/PS4 of course.

Comment

well, 2 opensource examples, but the others all are using it not because it's better in any way but because they can build up closed source products with it
                    That is conjecture on your part. The fact that most of the products on my list are high end enterprise grade equipment, tells me that FreeBSD is more than suitable in that role. Also the fact that FreeBSD is widely used in both open and closed source products, tells me the licensing is not a significant factor.

Comment

that's nice but the majority still runs on Linux and that "heavy duty enterprise" bullshit in form of a middlebox don't bother anybody which is capable replace it my simple Linux setups after a lot of RTFM - they are slow, insecure and have a laughable complex setup for the limited features they offer
                      Really, do you have numbers to back that up? How did you calculate a "majority"?

Additionally, you may well be a Linux guru. Big enterprise business does not care. They require a vendor that offers a 24/7 support contract. Your opinion on the complexity or feature set is irrelevant - businesses require equipment that comes with 24/7 support, period, end of story.

Comment

Working...
                      X