Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adevx
    replied
    I also experienced data corruption on the 4.19 kernel. At first I thought it was due to a faulty M.2 SSD, which I tried for a full day to flash to the latest firmware. Then giving up reinstalling Ubuntu on the second SSD in my laptop, without using the smaller M.2 SSD. After installation I updating to the latest kernel using ukuu I got the same io errors, having the root partition remounting as read-only during use. Switching back to 4.18 and everything is fine again. After these errors happened again on the second SSD I gathered it must be something other than a faulty SSD. Searched for kernel related corruption issues and found the lkml.org thread and later this one.

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied
    I've experienced corruption on a few hundred files, when switching from multi-queue block deadline to mq-blk none. Might not be related to mq-blk, but it happened in the past 3 weeks. I have full backups, so it's not that bad. What's terrible is that most errors I only found because I keep checksum log audits. If someone doesn't, and got some corruption, they might never know it.

I've since re-migrated to btrfs, but hey, with my luck, that will get corrupted also. I actually switched from btrfs to ext4 because I was tired of unfixable problems btrfs would throw up every few months when running a scrub. Can't wait for bcachefs.

Leave a comment:

• ext73
    replied
    I can confirm these errors - they are also in 4.19.5

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    XFS ftw

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Rolling Release must be so awesome to force this kind of breakage on you right?

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    In my experience, I've found that the following file systems are the most stable:
    FAT32
    XFS
    ZFS
    ext2

I've been playing around with bcachefs, and my playing around I mean keeping several terabytes of important data on it. It has been very good -so far-. The backups of that data are on several XFS hard drives.

I've had NTFS corruption, ext4 corruption, btrfs corruption.

Leave a comment:

• jpg44
    replied
    It sounds like it could be maybe some other kernel subsystem, could be a hardware driver, may be trashing ext4 subsystems memory. I wonder if there is a similarity in the hardware of the people who are effected, and if they are using SSDs or HDs, what controllers are being used, other hardware on their systems, etc, to see if there is a common element.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    I think my decision long ago to switch to btrfs was right then :-) But I'm sure that in the next normal news about btrfs people will complain about its quality independent of the fact that issues exists in other file systems as well...

Leave a comment:

• macemoneta
    replied
    This is separate from the ASRock motherboard issue?

This is a forum powered by Web Wiz Forums. To find out about Web Wiz Forums, go to www.WebWizForums.com

Leave a comment:

• phred14
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Debian Sid is on 4.18.20, but 4.19.5 is still in experimental repo of Debian

I can't reproduce this too on Sid, with 4.19.5

I tried 4.19.5 on Debian 8 LTS even and can't reproduce it there too, so no idea

Seems like happen when you have CONFIG_EXT4_ENCRYPTION enabled, even when you use or don't use encryption or whatever

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/11/28/856
    I've been running 4.19.x on three Gentoo systems for several weeks now, with not problems. I just checked, and "# CONFIG_EXT4_ENCRYPTION is not set".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X