Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaburgan
    replied
    Damn, I read this thread a days ago, but I had just been hit by the corruption problem. Running 4.19.5. (And I was installing 4.19.6 during this time, I don't know if that version fix the problem). I revert to 4.18 now. Using linux mint 19 on a SSD.

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
    Can't trust btrfs, can't trust ext4... Things are pretty bad. Now I'm to the point that I think I need to keep backups on ext4, on btrfs, and on xfs, just in case.
    I left my backups on XFS, but I'm really liking bcachefs already. I had an unexpected power loss a while ago while coping some files and it fsck'd just fine. The biggest downsides is that you need a custom kernel, and the mount times are long (~1 min for 6TB HDD).

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Well, bigoted people who want to continue being racist, sexist, misogynist, ableist, anti-Semitic, Islamaphobic etc. aren't people with different opinions - they're crappy horrible people.
    Bigoted is defined as: "obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, and intolerant towards other people's beliefs and practices."

Opinion is in the definition... actually, according to this definition, a hardcore feminist would be a bigot as well

Leave a comment:

• rmoog
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Well, bigoted people who want to continue being racist, sexist, misogynist, ableist, anti-Semitic, Islamaphobic etc. aren't people with different opinions - they're crappy horrible people.

But enough of this bullshit - I'm not interested in arguing uselessly with such people, and to continue polluting this thread with nonsense.
    If you love Islam so much then I have a bridge to sell to you, to your wife and to your wife's boyfriend. This is a win-win-win scenario. All software MUST adopt Sharia Law as a replacement for Code of Conduct. That way we'll legally protect our software from getting ruined by feminists, and the likes of you must tolerate this or else risk being called a racist islamophobic bigot.

Leave a comment:

• IlDonn
    replied
    I ran into that problem only on kde neon (based on 18.04), but not a single problem with ubuntu 18.04 unity or budgie (all of these with ext4 and kernel 4.19) and that's wired. first I ran into a "not writable directory" during updates installation and then when I restarted I saw the initramfs console

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
    Can't trust btrfs, can't trust ext4... Things are pretty bad. Now I'm to the point that I think I need to keep backups on ext4, on btrfs, and on xfs, just in case.
    You cannot trust the kernels coming from the kernel devs - that's the issue. If you want a resemblance of stability - use RHEL or its clones.

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied
    Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

I almost lost hundreds of gigabytes of video (wedding camera footage) to btrfs and wasted 2 weeks attempting to repair or recover through the tools. I eventually was able to start the process of manually coping every not-broken-thing to some other hard drives. The problem is that when my 12TB btrfs RAID10 pool did that, I needed another 12TB, so I had to delete my several terabyte steam library, and I've already been redownloading it since a week ago. My internet max speed is 1MB/s down...

Luckily, when originally transferring those video files, I remembered how technology tries to screw me over, so I copied the files in two other places.
    Similar here. I had a situation last February I had help from two of the btrfs, including a genius one from Poland which spent maybe 5-8 hours debugging my situation. In the end, I was able to dump all the data over another array, but the partitions themselves remained unmountable. It was impossible to fix, but my issue allowed a patch to be contributed to the project. Afterwards I had the drives tested by four runs of badblocks, then scandisk, and no issues were found. So, I switched to ext4, because hey, what could go wrong? Now this... At least I used hashdeep to keep an integrity audit.

Leave a comment:

• stingray454
    replied
    I had my first ever ext4 disk crash just after moving to 4.19 a while ago.. One day when bootin up the file system was just completely broken. Chalked it up to not being shut down correctly (might have had a power outage while I was gone), but it's fine after a reformat / reinstall. Might very well have been this.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Huh. I'm sure it varies from one setup to another, but I've been running 4.19 on a couple of machines without any issues.
    Same here.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    I'm having a weird issue with an ext4 data partition which sometimes is unmountable. Highly annoying, but at least not data corruption.
    Huh, false alarm. It turned out that mounting via fstab was confused by Windows' MSR partition, it somehow mistook it for my ext4 data partition which is mounted via a unique label. So, apparently some weird bug, but not filesystem related.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X