Linux 4.19-rc6 Kernel Released By Greg KH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#notmykernel since the SJWs hijacked it

(for those less CPU gifted this is a trolling joke)
    Last edited by Almindor; 01 October 2018, 02:35 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

HDMI is a different beast. Don't use it in general though if you can avoid it.
      Why should I avoid it?

Comment

Does switching to tty work for you with amdgpu and 4.19-rc6? It's broken with 4.19-rc4, and Debian experimental didn't upload newer versions yet. With 4.19-rc4 the monitor goes to sleep after switching to tty (DisplayPort).

I see a couple of amdgpu related changes:

Code:
        Rex Zhu (1):
        drm/amdgpu: Fix vce work queue was not cancelled when suspend

Roman Li (1):
        drm/amd/display: Fix Vega10 lightup on S3 resume
        I have had some problems with 4.19 as well regarding displayport output. I have a win10 VM (libvirt/KVM/Qemu) with PCI passthrough using the displayport to the same monitor that I output my host linux (DVI). I just switch between the displayport and DVI depending if I need to be in linux or windows. However, with 4.19 I think till rc4 the displayport (VM) turn dark with no output, very strange. Will need to check if this is still the case with later rcs. Not to mention that both 4.18 and 4.19 have screwed up the internet access of my VM, no problem with 4.17. I blame the bpfilter for that.

Comment

my monitor is HDMI and so is my Mobo, anyway, why would i want to avoid hdmi?

Comment

Originally posted by smirky View Post
            Why should I avoid it?
            Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            my monitor is HDMI and so is my Mobo, anyway, why would i want to avoid hdmi?
            I think there is nothing wrong with using HDMI. DisplayPort is technically and philosophically better but if HDMI works for you that is fine.

One temporary exception: On Linux, FreeSync is currently only supported via DisplayPort, not via HDMI last I heard.

Though if you buy new display products then making sure it has DisplayPort support is smart, as you get support for neat things such as MST, and support royalty free open standards. Also I think multiple DP monitors can share one clock source.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
              #notmykernel since the SJWs hijacked it

(for those less CPU gifted this is a trolling joke)
              Thank goodness.

No one wants to work around abusive people. Especially proud and bold ones.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use the AMD drm-next-4.20-wip kernel and Oibaf ppa Mesa git. Mainline kernels and Mesa are buggy, partially implemented and it is lottery if they are stable. Whole operating system must be rolling, including device drivers in modern computing. Switching to tty and back works with a HDMI monitor.

Code:
                xfce@ryzenpc:~$ inxi -bM
                System:
                Host: ryzenpc Kernel: 4.19.0-rc5+ x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4
                Distro: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid
                Machine:
                Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B350M-K v: Rev X.0x
                serial: <root required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 4013 date: 06/22/2018
                CPU:
                6-Core: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 type: MT MCP speed: 3084 MHz
                Graphics:
                Device-1: AMD Baffin [Polaris11] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
                Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.1 driver: amdgpu,ati
                unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
                OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 560 Series (POLARIS11 DRM 3.27.0 4.19.0-rc5+
                LLVM 7.0.0)
                v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.0-devel
                I was wondering if you tried Rocm, on your CPU/Mobo, with OpenCl, and if its okay?

Comment

Working...
                X