Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.19-rc6 Kernel Released By Greg KH

Phoronix: Linux 4.19-rc6 Kernel Released By Greg KH

Continuing to serve as the release manager in the absence of Linus Torvalds, Greg Kroah-Hartman today released Linux 4.19-rc6 as the latest test release for the Linux 4.19 kernel that will debut as stable in October...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does switching to tty work for you with amdgpu and 4.19-rc6? It's broken with 4.19-rc4, and Debian experimental didn't upload newer versions yet. With 4.19-rc4 the monitor goes to sleep after switching to tty (DisplayPort).

I see a couple of amdgpu related changes:

Code:
    Rex Zhu (1):
    drm/amdgpu: Fix vce work queue was not cancelled when suspend

Roman Li (1):
    drm/amd/display: Fix Vega10 lightup on S3 resume
    Last edited by shmerl; 30 September 2018, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Does switching to tty work for you with amdgpu and 4.19-rc6? It's broken with 4.19-rc4, and Debian experimental didn't upload newer versions yet. With 4.19-rc4 the monitor goes to sleep after switching to tty (DisplayPort).

I see a couple of amdgpu related changes:

Code:
      Rex Zhu (1):
      drm/amdgpu: Fix vce work queue was not cancelled when suspend

Roman Li (1):
      drm/amd/display: Fix Vega10 lightup on S3 resume
      it has worked for me on all 4.19rcs, im using hdmi tough

Comment

Well, I hope 4.19 fixes the mysterious system lockup present in kernels 4.18.6 and above. I filed a bug with Manjaro, but since it's just a full on system lockup there's no indication of what is causing it in any of the logs, at least none that I can find. I offered to help debug the problem but it seems the devs are just ignoring the report, evidently because there simply aren't any details that can provided.

By the way, I even did a full reinstall of my home server, leaving out everything but it's basic functionality as an NFS server, but the results were the same. Kernels 4.9.128, 4.14.71, and 4.17.19 work flawlessly. But 4.18.9 locks up within 36 hours, just like 4.18.6 and 4.18.7.
        Last edited by muncrief; 30 September 2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

it has worked for me on all 4.19rcs, im using hdmi tough
          HDMI is a different beast. Don't use it in general though if you can avoid it.

Comment

Since the first rc, 4.19 has been showing a weird screen distortion on 144hz. Switching to 120hz fixes it. 4.18.11 and earlier releases don't have the problem. Anyone else?

I'm thinking it has the do with the amdgpu drm, and probably unrelated to the 4.19 kernel.

It doesn't show up in screenshots, but here is a still image I took with my phone: https://i.imgur.com/dkecsnm.jpg

Details on my setup:

Ubuntu 18.10 cosmic
            OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10, DRM 3.27.0, 4.19.0-041900rc6-generic, LLVM 7.0.0)

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
              Since the first rc, 4.19 has been showing a weird screen distortion on 144hz. Switching to 120hz fixes it. 4.18.11 and earlier releases don't have the problem. Anyone else?

I'm thinking it has the do with the amdgpu drm, and probably unrelated to the 4.19 kernel.
              amdgpu is aligned with the kernel so it's updated with each kernel release. Did you open a Mesa bug about it?

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                Well, I hope 4.19 fixes the mysterious system lockup present in kernels 4.18.6 and above. I filed a bug with Manjaro, but since it's just a full on system lockup there's no indication of what is causing it in any of the logs, at least none that I can find. I offered to help debug the problem but it seems the devs are just ignoring the report, evidently because there simply aren't any details that can provided.
                Could it be related to changes in GPU drivers? E.g. did AMD switch to the new DC code recently?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

amdgpu is aligned with the kernel so it's updated with each kernel release. Did you open a Mesa bug about it?
                  Not yet, I was gonna compile amd-staging-drm-next and see if it was fixed on that branch (afaik that one is based off 4.19-rc1).

About the drm/kernel alignment, right that's what I meant. I didn't think it was a kernel change that caused the issue, but something in the latest drm. But if it's still not addressed in the staging branch, I'll create the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    Could it be related to changes in GPU drivers? E.g. did AMD switch to the new DC code recently?
                    That's what I wondered as I normally use the integrated Radeon R3 GPU of my Athlon 5370. However when the problem first occurred I also tried disabling the integrated graphics and testing it with an Nvidia GT 710 GPU. Unfortunately the system locked up no matter what GPU was being used. I only did tests with 2 kernel versions, but I'm pretty sure it's not the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X