Ubuntu GNOME Will No Longer Be A Separate Flavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lumks View Post
    Canonical: We don't work on Unity anymore. Let's join forces and make the best Ubuntu Gnome ever!

Ubuntu GNOME Team: No. 'Cause FUCK YOU, that why.

===================
    will never happen... but would be a so satisfying story for me to hear/read
    You must have a wonderful personality.

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Originally posted by Griffin
    Telling KDE the truth is not without a cost. Just imagine all the butthurt feelings that will flood the forums if someone told the truth. Unaudited code that crash in million ways is not something you want to deal with. Worse, it is incoherent. And without proper design.

Nah, it is much better for everyone just to pretend that KDE is not here.
    Basing on you Gnome's motto is: by idiots for idiots.

KDE however, should get rid of stupid people:

https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/in-5-...loper/#respond

It's more likely in five years there will be no PC-BSD/FreeBSD at all.
    The local trolls Griffin and Pawlerson made it! Griffin with his anti-Qt/anti-KDE talk and Pawlerson who just can't help but get a massive erection from any opportunity to bash on BSDs.

Originally posted by bison View Post
    I just wasted two minutes of my life reading this thread. There really ought to be an "I am not an idiot" checkbox on the Phoronix forum registration form.
    Just give any forum without a system to bury the idiots (like reddit's downvotes) and you'll end up with this.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
      The local trolls Griffin and Pawlerson made it! Griffin with his anti-Qt/anti-KDE talk and Pawlerson who just can't help but get a massive erection from any opportunity to bash on BSDs.
      It's funny to see someone as biased as you judging others. Do you really think PC-BSD will dominate Linux on desktops in 2020? If not, shut up please.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        "GNOME is what happens when someone actually succeeds at 'I'll make my own desktop, with beer and hookers!'"
        It's not true. I've met many of the GNOME people, and I've never seen them get past the desktop with beer part.

Comment

BSD is fine, and it isn't going away any time soon.

Gnome is fine, and the workflow with it is also fine.

KDE is fine, but personally I have too many memories of bizarre behavior and weird crashes after 4.x, so I stopped investing my personal time in it and figured out how to use Gnome 3.

They're all fine. The amount of needless partisanship in this thread is depressing, and several people here probably need to see a psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            "GNOME is what happens when someone actually succeeds at 'I'll make my own desktop, with beer and hookers!'"
            That's incredibly accurate, especially for 3. GNOME 3 has a big problem with "they changed it now it sucks" reactions. KDE and LXDE can't get away from aping Windows (older Windows at this point, which frankly is a good thing), XFCE is stuck firmly in the past, the whole point of MATE is to stick strictly to a dated but tried and true design... Unity tried, but we saw how that went.

GNOME 3 had the audacity to question UI design conventions, especially at the DE level, came up with a lot of good ideas, and implemented them well. It has its misses (like the laughably bad "legacy tray"), but the activities overview is brilliant, and the extension system is nothing short of groundbreaking. But it's different. People don't like different. Well go use MATE then, that's why it's there. This is the biggest strength of desktop Linux; you know what Windows users are going through right now, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Xorg View Post
              Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc... All are useless spins. Let user choose which desktop he wants during installation, like Fedora does.
              Fedora does that? Since when? Default de is Gnome. You need to download separate iso for each desktop. Or did I missed something? https://torrent.fedoraproject.org/

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post

Fedora does that? Since when? Default de is Gnome. You need to download separate iso for each desktop. Or did I missed something? https://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
                Yes you did, netinstall.

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post

That's incredibly accurate, especially for 3. GNOME 3 has a big problem with "they changed it now it sucks" reactions.
                  ..the whole point of MATE is to stick strictly to a dated but tried and true design... Unity tried, but we saw how that went.
                  Unity didn't tried to stick to tried and true design and that's why mate was born.

but the activities overview is brilliant, and the extension system is nothing short of groundbreaking.
                  I wouldn't put that better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uJ7Twe2rzo&t=240s

But it's different. People don't like different. Well go use MATE then, that's why it's there. This is the biggest strength of desktop Linux; you know what Windows users are going through right now, right?
                  I use Mate/Gnome2 since I use Linux. And about Gnome. Well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_sY6BJOPYo Same pov as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Yes you did, netinstall.
                    Thx cpt obvious. I was referring to single installation image. Try to netinstall system on someones hardware without internet connection.
                    And if it comes to multiple de choices Antergos has nice selection of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

From some reason you're reminding me Mouth of Sauron from Lord of the Rings. This 'toxic' word.. Is this trauma from your childhood? Were your parents saying you're toxic all the time?
                      I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. It seems pretty clear it's an ad hominem attack and not a reasoned response, but I don't get it. My parents were/are great, but not sure what the relevance of this is except to further devolve the discussion.

Comment

Working...
                      X