Ubuntu GNOME Will No Longer Be A Separate Flavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Telling GNOME the truth is not without a cost. Just imagine all the butthurt feelings that will flood the forums if someone told the truth. Unaudited code that crash in million ways is not something you want to deal with. Worse, it is incoherent. And without proper design.

Nah, it is much better for everyone just to pretend that GNOME is not here and use OpenSUSE.
    Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
      Essentially Ubuntu Unity 8 and Ubuntu GNOME are swapping places. Unity 8 will live on as a desktop supported by its fans and developers.
      Fixed. MIR is dead because it requires too much manpower and will stay dead for that same reason. What is being forked is Unity 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
        Telling KDE the truth is not without a cost. Just imagine all the butthurt feelings that will flood the forums if someone told the truth. Unaudited code that crash in million ways is not something you want to deal with. Worse, it is incoherent. And without proper design.

Nah, it is much better for everyone just to pretend that KDE is not here.
        To be honest, last time I used KDE it was pretty good. Installed it along side of gnome, well, just to see what the fuss was. it was fully functional, and when I say that, it had features GNOME didn't.

That said, I didn't like the WM, to used to gnome, and I felt too many of the apps where waaay too verbose and complex. Too much text to read. I prefer GUIs to be simple, as simplicity is what a GUI excells at.(while the CLI excels at complexity). Qt in all honest is likely the Superior framework, but when Free desktops started, it was not Free so its future as far as porting and availability was uncertain.(Today, you can get linux Qt libs under a Free license and trolltech has a failsafe for Qt).

I'm still on gnome because I like the wm.

As for GNOME and Ubuntu. I for one am glad Canonical ended this nonsense and finally came around to good sense. I hope this will free up more of their corporate resources to adding features to GNOME and helping work on interface bugs, something that helped make GNOME2 awesome 10 years ago.

Comment

Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc... All are useless spins. Let user choose which desktop he wants during installation, like Fedora does.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
            Canonical: We don't work on Unity anymore. Let's join forces and make the best Ubuntu Gnome ever!

Ubuntu GNOME Team: No. 'Cause FUCK YOU, that why.

===================
            will never happen... but would be a so satisfying story for me to hear/read
            Wow, even your fantasy is toxic. You are actively rooting for friction in the community and disappointed that Ubuntu GNOME team is not more combative at the expense of both other developers and the user community.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
              That said, I didn't like the WM, to used to gnome, and I felt too many of the apps where waaay too verbose and complex. Too much text to read. I prefer GUIs to be simple, as simplicity is what a GUI excells at.(while the CLI excels at complexity).
              Fair enough. KDE does sometimes suffer from its focus on having broad appeal.

By contrast, GNOME is pretty much the one desktop I could never be comfortable on. (I've used pretty much every desktop for a while since I switched to Linux around 2004 and the main reason I came to KDE was that I added a third monitor and, during the period I was waiting for the mounting bracket to arrive from China, LXDE's support for non-rectangular desktop layouts on Lubuntu 14.04 was very poor.)

I have that "Lead, follow, or get out of the way? I obstruct!" personality George Carlin talked about and I'm willing to go pretty far to ensure that my computer conforms to me, rather than the other way around. (eg. Ubuntu removing the dconf key to turn off daily "please reboot to update your kernel" reminders in the GTK+ update notifier prompted me to completely rip the thing out and hack together a very basic replacement one using cron, zenity, and apt-get.)

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
              Qt in all honest is likely the Superior framework, but when Free desktops started, it was not Free so its future as far as porting and availability was uncertain.(Today, you can get linux Qt libs under a Free license and trolltech has a failsafe for Qt).
              Or, if you want to be punchier, "GNOME is what happens when someone actually succeeds at 'I'll make my own desktop, with beer and hookers!'" (Not that that's a bad thing. GCC and LibreOffice wouldn't be where they are today if they hadn't been forked.)

Comment

I just wish they'd switch to Plasma. It would require innovation on their part and benefit KDE most likely. Can't help but think now that gtk4 is about to get in we throw in the towel. Of the 10 top distros on distrowatch it's only Manjaro and opensuse featuring KDE and Manjaro is till primarily Xfce if you had to pick a primary desktop. Choosing Gnome just seems uncertain when they more or less are unclear on their own development plans.

Comment

I just wasted two minutes of my life reading this thread. There really ought to be an "I am not an idiot" checkbox on the Phoronix forum registration form.

Comment

I tried KDE a short while ago and was surprised at how responsive and lightweight it felt compared to Unity. But when it comes to localization it fell short of both Unity and Gnome. Localizations are quite important when your market is worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by existensil View Post

Wow, even your fantasy is toxic. You are actively rooting for friction in the community and disappointed that Ubuntu GNOME team is not more combative at the expense of both other developers and the user community.
                      From some reason you're reminding me Mouth of Sauron from Lord of the Rings. This 'toxic' word.. Is this trauma from your childhood? Were your parents saying you're toxic all the time?

Comment

Working...
                      X