No announcement yet.

Ubuntu GNOME Will No Longer Be A Separate Flavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was sort of hoping they might bring some of the Unity 7 look and feel to their spin of GNOME, just to make the transition a little easier for existing Unity users. However, Mark said "we should respect the GNOME design leadership by delivering GNOME the way GNOME wants it delivered.". This is a pretty reasonable stance and will hopefully help mend the relationship with upstream GNOME just a little, even if the transition for users might be a bit jarring. I hope GNOME developers see it that way.

In the meantime going to start using Ubuntu GNOME more to prepare. It seems really unlikely Unity is going to have much of a future.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
      They're all fine. The amount of needless partisanship in this thread is depressing, and several people here probably need to see a psychiatrist.
      Indeed! Thank you for this comment, it is refreshing
      I read most of the comments on Phoronix about Unity/Ubuntu because I'm interested in the future (or no future) of Unity 8 but it became very depressing...

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
        ...and the extension system is nothing short of groundbreaking.
        Is that now the case? I remember years ago that it was brittle and subject to constant API breakage, making extensions little more than hacks.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post

Is that now the case? I remember years ago that it was brittle and subject to constant API breakage, making extensions little more than hacks.
          Yes, some gnome extensions like Dash-to-Dock work really well. But there are lots of extensions out there that are outdated and don't even launch (if they ever did).

What's needed for the future are more good extensions, not more DE's or more distributions...my two cents.

And better ports of good apps (maybe Dolphin for those who like it).

Comment

If Ubuntu could defragment the community that would be great.

One installer, multiple desktop options.

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
              That's incredibly accurate, especially for 3. GNOME 3 has a big problem with "they changed it now it sucks" reactions. KDE and LXDE can't get away from aping Windows (older Windows at this point, which frankly is a good thing), XFCE is stuck firmly in the past, the whole point of MATE is to stick strictly to a dated but tried and true design... Unity tried, but we saw how that went.

GNOME 3 had the audacity to question UI design conventions, especially at the DE level, came up with a lot of good ideas, and implemented them well. It has its misses (like the laughably bad "legacy tray"), but the activities overview is brilliant, and the extension system is nothing short of groundbreaking. But it's different. People don't like different. Well go use MATE then, that's why it's there. This is the biggest strength of desktop Linux; you know what Windows users are going through right now, right?
              The ironic thing about this post was that when KDE 4 came out, Gnome fans criticized it for being too different from Windows and other existing DEs. It didn't follow the desktop paradigm anymore, it was too disruptive, too different from what people were used to, would take people too long to change their ways. It didn't have a menu-based application launcher, it didn't have icons on the desktop, the plasmoid system that let people literally do anything allowed too many option.

Then Gnome 3 came out, and it had many of the things people criticized KDE 4 for having. And suddenly the same people who just a couple years before were criticizing KDE for being too different suddenly were criticizing it for being too similar. How quickly people forget that it was KDE that originally pioneered breaking from the original desktop paradigm. Do you really think Gnome would have done that if KDE hadn't taken initial risk and shown it could be done?

Comment

I can't understand why anyone would work with Ubuntu​​​​​. There are a dozen other distributions that aren't morally compromised.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post

Fedora does that? Since when? Default de is Gnome. You need to download separate iso for each desktop. Or did I missed something? https://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
                  Yes, see this screenshot : http://www.linuxbsdos.com/wp-content...n2-600x450.png
                  Full ISO are useful to try a desktop, but I personally prefer Netinstall.

I said Fedora, but we are free to choose in a lot a distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by existensil View Post

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. It seems pretty clear it's an ad hominem attack and not a reasoned response, but I don't get it. My parents were/are great, but not sure what the relevance of this is except to further devolve the discussion.
                    The problem is you weren't commenting desktop environments, but repeating about toxicity in discussion all the time. It's like telling some homeless guy he's homeless and should find some home. You're not helping him this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post

Linuxquestions are a site for Slack users to get help on their broken-by-design distribution. These guys will of course prefer a broken-by-design DE as well. You couldn't possibly pick a smaller and less representative survey. You are as obsolete as the slack users.
                      That would explain such high Slackware position. At least I provided you one. Where are your surveys? Ps. Do you know single gtk+ music player which doesn't suck? In KDE there are few very good applications. Is it possible 'reference' desktop is worse?

Comment

Working...
                      X