The Systemd-Free Debian Fork Celebrates Its Second Birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    That's not entirely correct. Systemd was tried to force on every distribution. Gentoo simply refused and forked udev instead, and then later on managed to get upstream udev working behind upstreams back. Udev was a tool to force systemd on everyone.

I just thank god it didn't work.
    Gentoo fixing udev?

(hint: it happened only in the parallel universe you happen to live in, in this it was systemd's team that had to fix it, then Gentoo forked it and made edev or eudev or whatever)

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Read the message, check who wrote it, and then re-evaluate please.

Again I say thank god it failed.
      You're the usual miscreant, twisting the holy words of our Lord and Saviour.
      Our Lord and Saviour didn't state "THOU SHALT NOT", he said "I'm not supporting stuff I don't give a fuck about", people have always been free to make their fork and Gentoo, for example, did. Eudev is a fork, and as such it isn't against Pottering's Holy Will. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Eudev

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        You're the usual miscreant, twisting the holy words of our Lord and Saviour.
        Our Lord and Saviour didn't state "THOU SHALT NOT", he said "I'm not supporting stuff I don't give a fuck about", people have always been free to make their fork and Gentoo, for example, did. Eudev is a fork, and as such it isn't against Pottering's Holy Will. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Eudev
        And as I already said thank god for that too. If it wasn't for Gentoo, take a wild guess what Devuan and other non-systemd distro's would be using? Can ya guess? Go ahead take a stab at it.

And the real truth is that eudev isn't the default in gentoo. In fact Gentoo managed to get upstream udev working despite upstream trying multiple times to break it.

Comment

Another reply stuck in mod queue.

Comment

starshipeleven You can read my answer now on https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...749#post914749
            Just to make sure you will notice it.

Comment

I guess I've drawn the fools' card, because I neither like systemd nor do I like the intentionally "systemd-free" distros. They are all making excuses for being incapable of working together. So they "fix" their problems by avoiding them and by replacing them with new problems, because those they can handle and because they are the ones who created them.

systemd thinks it needs to engulf the entire system, because its creator(s) apparently fails at micro-management and needs to replace it with macro-management, i.e. with the journalctl command now having 53(!) options where in the past we used the more command, perhaps with grep or simply an existing text editor, doing the job for us just fine. So now we have a special command for reading system logfiles where we can specify "--no-pager" as an option when we don't want to run the output through the more command...

Nor do the intentionally "systemd-free" distros help with making systemd into a better product where both micro- and macro-management can coexist in meaningful and less ridiculous ways, but instead do they, too, fight what gives them grief.

It seems all very cynical and mad to me, almost childish if it wasn't adults doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Gentoo fixing udev?

(hint: it happened only in the parallel universe you happen to live in, in this it was systemd's team that had to fix it, then Gentoo forked it and made edev or eudev or whatever)
                And you are talking out your ass. Gentoo does not use eudev by default. It still uses upstream udev by default, and that is despite the fact that upstream has tried to break it multiple times.

Comment

[QUOTE=oooverclocker;n914749]
                  The systemd System and Service Manager . Contribute to systemd/systemd development by creating an account on GitHub.

Did you miss the message in the next line?

Code:
                  AC_MSG_WARN([*** Using Google NTP servers.
                  Do not ship OSes or devices with these default settings.
                  See DISTRO_PORTING for details!])])
                  Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
                  The systemd System and Service Manager . Contribute to systemd/systemd development by creating an account on GitHub.
                  That is a fallback if absolutely nothing else can be reached.

The only reasonable reaction is not to use systemd:
                  By that logic we also should not use the Linux kernel.

It's connected by probably handing Google my DNS requests in specific scenarios without my consent???
                  Then change the default.

Comment

I guess with everyone being now aware of these hardcoded IPs it just makes it worse trying to defend it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      lol, people who can make something useful, are working on systemd. but you can wait few more years, maybe devuan will release their obsolete fork
                      As I said, I *really*, *really* like systemd, so I don't need to hold my breath.

- Gilboa
                      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                      X