Solus 1.0 Released, Powered By GTK Budgie Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magika View Post
    This article totally explains what the hell Solus is, are users obliged to click links to understand what application you writing article about does?
    What?

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
      As a practical matter, that's the only way I ever mount my working home partition anyway. The way I see it, the fewer partitions an Installer knows about, the fewer it can reformat behind my back. If all Solus knows from is swap and root, that's fine by me.
      I see your point there. I think it's a cross between Arch and *buntu/openSUSE/Fedora-based Linux distributions.

I tried Architect Linux and the installer formatted my home partition without asking me first.

Comment

I hope that Budgie, the desktop environment gets packaged and put into the Debian repository.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
          What?
          I just reread this article. Still nowhere stated what Solus is. Don't get me wrong, you don't need to explain in an article about NVIDIA driver what said driver is, but in this article he talks about something 1.0 release, and doesn't tell what is that. Quality journalism.

Now, I went out of my way and did some research, turned out Souls is open source operating system. Probably yet another linux distro, but they don't elaborate if its actually is.

Comment

I just reread this article. Still nowhere stated what Solus is. Don't get me wrong, you don't need to explain in an article about NVIDIA driver what said driver is, but in this article he talks about something 1.0 release, and doesn't tell what is that. Quality journalism.

Now, I went out of my way and did some research, turned out Souls is open source operating system. Probably yet another linux distro, but they don't elaborate if its actually is.
            Well, saying it was powered by Linux 4.3 is a pretty good indication that this is a Linux distro.
            I suppose it's possible you could find your way to this site and not understand the article, but it seems hard to believe.

Comment

FORK FORK FORK. More forks = MORE APPS. More forks = Less AAA apps...

Comment

Waste of programmers resources, better they should have helped LXDE-QT to get into very stable status and all GUI features ready for productive daily use.

Comment

Yeah I was a bit lost too, didn't know if the article was about a desktop environment or a Linux distro. Had to look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
                    Solus 1.0's desktop is called Budgie and it's a simple, GTK-powered desktop environment that ships with a nifty applet/notification/customization center, and various other features of the new desktop.

Solus 1.0 makes use of the eopkg package manager, ships with Goofiboot as a fork of Gummiboot, and is powered by the Linux 4.3 kernel.
                    I don't know how you guys missed that. There are so few words to read too!

Comment

It's true that he doesn't explicitly state that this is a new Linux distro, but I thought it was reasonably obvious through context.

Comment

Working...
                      X