Latest Round Of Debian Systemd vs. Upstart Voting Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newwen View Post
    As interested has said, this the beginning of a war against the future of Linux: systemd, kdbus, cgroups and wayland.
    or you could simply call it as it is. Canonical Ltd. VS. FOSS!!!!!

i personally still feel ashamed since i used to suggest ubuntu in the past to n00b users. in that end i actually helped dividing linux instead of promoting it as it has shown. now, if anyone asks me... anything but ubuntu, which is a shame since some distros are awesome and the only thing they suffer is bad heritage.

Comment

It has begun. Now there is an attempt to sack Steve Langasek from the Debian Technical Commitee.

Classy, specially since there is no formal procedure to manage conflicts of interest in Debian, and the conflict is evident (it's just like having Lennart Poettering vote in this decision). Ian Jackson is resorting to the classic "this is an already decided matter" defense.

The reality is: there is no formal procedure to manage conflicts of interests, and Debian must make one, regardless of what happens with Upstart, systemd, or this voting.

Now I'm going to the kitchen... I'm running short of popcorn...

Comment

Originally posted by old486whizz View Post
        But ubuttnu is a recent (and alarming) trend of 'OMG me yoozes teh compootah @ homz wiv thees, so mi MUHST bee guud @ duuing surver admin!' (basically: I know what I'm doing because I've used this software for all of 5 minutes and can cut+paste from a website instead of actually knowing what is happening) being offered by cheap VPS hosts.
        Actually, Ubuntu Server Edition is surprisingly decent. It's shockingly conservative considering what they've been doing on the desktop side of things. Granted, it would be better with systemd, but Upstart is still an improvement over sysV.

Comment

Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            It has begun. Now there is an attempt to sack Steve Langasek from the Debian Technical Commitee.

Classy, specially since there is no formal procedure to manage conflicts of interest in Debian, and the conflict is evident (it's just like having Lennart Poettering vote in this decision). Ian Jackson is resorting to the classic "this is an already decided matter" defense.

The reality is: there is no formal procedure to manage conflicts of interests, and Debian must make one, regardless of what happens with Upstart, systemd, or this voting.

Now I'm going to the kitchen... I'm running short of popcorn...
            https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte.../msg00225.html https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte.../msg00228.html Both saying Steve is allowed to vote and that he is not allowed to vote are considered OT for this init discussion. Steve will vote unless he *himself* decides not to.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              users neither choose nor care about init
              distributions do
              and most of distributions chose systemd over upstart
              actually, upstart was chosen only by 2 distros, and only because upstart author worked for them and did the choosing - pretty pathetic performance, isn't it ?
              RHEL 6 uses upstart.

And this "2 distros" are entirely family of Linux distros and have majority of Linux users. So no, isn't pathetic performance.

Comment

Originally posted by marciocr View Post
                RHEL 6 uses upstart.
                I was using CentOS6 for quite some time until I noticed that the init system isn't sysvinit. Why? Because basically all services are started with init scripts. You're mostly dealing with /etc/init.d, /etc/sysconfig and chkconfig on RHEL/CentOS6, so saying "it uses upstart" is quite misleading. RHEL6 has the tiny beginnings of a migration to upstart and that's it. They never went further, because systemd appeared and they decided to go with that.

And this "2 distros" are entirely family of Linux distros and have majority of Linux users. So no, isn't pathetic performance.
                It has already been said more than once that there's no backing for this "majority of users" assertion. Also, for an init system, I'd say developers, admins and distro maintainers are more important, because it's them who will be interacting with the init system the most. And among those, systemd has the greater mindshare. Case in point, the only non-Ubuntu-derivative distro even considering upstart is Debian. All others are either sticking to their own (Slackware and Gentoo, though the latter is making systemd more and more a first-class citizen) or moved to systemd.

Comment

RHEL 6 uses upstart.

RHEL 7 uses systemd. Although, I don't think the validity of a software should be determined based on its amount of use.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                    RHEL 7 uses systemd. Although, I don't think the validity of a software should be determined based on its amount of use.
                    Well, having different maintainers choosing the same software is definitely a nice point, even though I absolutely agree that it's not enough in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte.../msg00225.html https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte.../msg00228.html Both saying Steve is allowed to vote and that he is not allowed to vote are considered OT for this init discussion. Steve will vote unless he *himself* decides not to.
                      If that's the best procedure to deal with conflicts of interests Debian can come up with, then their decision-making procedures are deeply flawed, but yes, it's OT to include those complaints in that bug report. Procedurally, they should have been sended as an entirely different request, so the mistake is procedural, it's not something substantial.

Now, I've seen some tactics like those in votings everywhere, so, let's wait a bit and hand me more popcorn.
                      Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 07 February 2014, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X