Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Switches Back To GNOME From Xfce

Phoronix: Debian Switches Back To GNOME From Xfce

Debian will no longer be defaulting to the Xfce desktop but they have returned to using the GNOME desktop as the default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are there really people who set up Debian without changing any of the defaults first?

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      What the fuck is with this indecision? Everybody hates managers who 2 weeks before launch say that they want something changed, something fundamental. Apparentely debian is also full of idiotic managers.
      I am glad to be in community with those idiots

Comment

What the fuck is with this indecision? Everybody hates managers who 2 weeks before launch say that they want something changed, something fundamental. Apparentely debian is also full of idiotic managers.
        It was because it didn't fit on one CD, but now it fits on one CD again.

Comment

Boooo...xfce is a sane default. Gnome is not.

Also, no one gives a damn what desktop Linus uses. He seems more finicky and indecisive about his desktop than my 3 year old niece picking out what she wants for lunch.

Comment

You should better correct your remark about Linus' DE switch as it is incorrect. Michael, read your own links.
            Last edited by genstorm; 10 November 2012, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Cool!

I didn't expect this to be reported here, so nice surprise!

I do expect Debian to switch the default soon again, as Debian runs on way more platforms than GNOME 3 will be able to properly run on (the no fallback mode).

Comment

3D-accelerated GPU driver

I don't mind using a 3D-accelerated GPU driver.
                It's just that I find GNOME Shell (and Unity) to be absolutely unusable mess.

It gets in the way and requires too many clicks.

Comment

Are there any people in the open source community who are not idiots, according to your judgment?

I'm curious, because you seem to be on a bit of a roll recently

Comment

Linus is a fickle desktop user...

I swear Linus goes through Desktop Environments like Donny Osmond goes through wives.

Comment

Working...
                    X