Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Miracle Spin Approved To Ship As Part Of Fedora Linux 41

Phoronix: Fedora Miracle Spin Approved To Ship As Part Of Fedora Linux 41

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) has approved of the newest Fedora desktop ISO spin: Fedora Miracle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I never did read about it. Anyone tried it? Why Mir?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Why Mir?
      Miracle was started by Matthew Kosarek, a Mir/Canonical developer.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Mir specifically, because Sway is an i3 clone that aims to be compatible with it as much as possible. You can drag an i3 config into Sway and keep on keepin on. Mir tries to look and behave similar to Sway so its users will feel at home, but Mir doesn't aim for i3 compatibility so it can have more modern effects, features, and doesn't use the same configuration format.

Anyways, there's a lot of neat things planned in their roadmap so check that out. They're a little behind schedule, but I'm not surprised with how ambitious some of their ideas are.

I should add that I haven't used Mir since I've never been the biggest fan of tiling options since so many GUIs and programs are designed around floating windows which doesn't always jive with tiling. I just happened to have been looking into Mir, SwayFX, and COSMIC lately due to how they seem to handle floating windows pretty well. I'm kind of addicted to Elden Ring for the moment which is taking up all my trying shit out time.

Comment

first off i need to clarify something before someone comes in here and makes the claim, Mir these days is a wayland compositor used by canonical in IoT kiosks and things like that.
          You could imagine it appearing in a car.
          As for the why? Where the main developer is a mir developer already

Comment

Yay? KDE, Freedesktop.org & Fedora promising more more Wayland miracles. ok. yay. I think I've been hearing this for the last 15 years?

Comment

No no the real question is when does it become a Beefy Miracle?

Comment

Also not to be confused with MiracleCast (a Wifi-Display/Miracast Implementation), https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast

Comment

They do this but no hyprland spin? bah. Why don't they just due a WM spin with sway, hyprland, miracle etc all in one anyway? The extra disk space would be tiny just having them all installed on the same spin.

Comment

If anyone wants to know why Linux based OSes have such a paltry presence on the desktop, it's because of things like this, and some other things.

Fedora needs an identity and stick with it.

They have decided that Gnome is their default desktop and they should eliminate all other spins and just focus on that.

The only difference I would make is use Gnome Classic, maybe spruce it up a bit, and pretend that other mode doesn't exist, possibly even disable it completely, with no chance of enabling it ever.

If someone wanted to make a Fedora spin featuring some other DE, they would be on their own to realize their dream, it would be separate project, not hosted on Fedora's servers, nothing to do with Fedora, they would be on their own.

I would do the same thing with Ubuntu, pick a DE that they want to be the one and only desktop and forget about all the spins.

The Linux fragmentation is bad enough, but when the various projects do it themselves, it just sucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X