Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blademasterz
    replied
    If having dozen of spin for just yet another generic Linux distro make it special, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Estranged1906
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    Fedora needs an identity and stick with it.
    Agree. Just keep Fedora KDE and Kinoite and drop the rest.

Leave a comment:

• patrick1946
    replied
    I know we live in the time of identity, but can we stop to spread this hollow, metaphysical concept even more?

Leave a comment:

• piotr.dobrogost
    replied
    Meantime, in the KDE world, endless tries to bring tiling on:

An easy tiling script for KWin. Contribute to Jazqa/kwin-quarter-tiling development by creating an account on GitHub.

A kwin script that automatically tiles windows. Contribute to lingtjien/Grid-Tiling-Kwin development by creating an account on GitHub.

https://github.com/kwin-scripts/kwin-tiling (dead)
    https://github.com/esjeon/krohnkite (dead)
    https://github.com/Bismuth-Forge/bismuth (dead)
    https://github.com/zeroxoneafour/kwin-autotile (dead)
    Autotile manager for Plasma 6. Contribute to zeroxoneafour/polonium development by creating an account on GitHub.

Plasma 5.27 is out and brings massive improvements to the desktop and all its tools. Another work of love from the KDE devs and contributors.

It seems it's super hard in the OSS environment to focus most/all people interested in some functionality on one leading/most popular/main project, have broad feature set and stability…

Leave a comment:

• NeoMorpheus
    replied
    If anyone wants to know why Linux based OSes have such a paltry presence on the desktop, it's because of things like this, and some other things.

They have decided that Gnome is their default desktop and they should eliminate all other spins and just focus on that.

The only difference I would make is use Gnome Classic, maybe spruce it up a bit, and pretend that other mode doesn't exist, possibly even disable it completely, with no chance of enabling it ever.

If someone wanted to make a Fedora spin featuring some other DE, they would be on their own to realize their dream, it would be separate project, not hosted on Fedora's servers, nothing to do with Fedora, they would be on their own.

I would do the same thing with Ubuntu, pick a DE that they want to be the one and only desktop and forget about all the spins.

The Linux fragmentation is bad enough, but when the various projects do it themselves, it just sucks.
    Agreed.

Imagine someone trying to escape Windows and reads this:

Fedora Miracle will join the likes of Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop, Fedora Xfce, Fedora Cinnamon, Fedora Mate Compiz, Fedora i3, Fedora LXQt, Fedora SOAS, Fedora Sway, and Fedora Budgie as alternative desktop spins.
    And thats without the Atomic spins.

Assuming that person is still interested, then comes the other things to consider that are like RPN, DEB, Flatpaks, Appimage, Snaps, etc.

Aaand, if still there, then we have Systemd love/hate, X11 vs Wayland!

So yes, one good solid option or identity makes sense.
    Last edited by NeoMorpheus; 21 May 2024, 03:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by panikal View Post
    Why does it need an identity? Seems to be one of the top distros, and the best funded one for sure since this directly feeds RHEL. I thought based on your other posts that Linux sucks because of things like wayland or KDE sucks or etc?
    Because it isn't a meta distribution like Arch, Gentoo, or Nix. Its default self is a Modern GNOME desktop based around GTK, systemd, and other related projects. Spins throw that identity right out.

Why disable modes and gnome classic? Can you not do this on your own desktop? Why make this default other than imposing your will on others that don't feel the same as you?
    Funny, I'd toss GNOME Classic. It's like using a bad memory of GNOME 2.

Which desktop spin would you like to see that doesn't exist? There are plenty for even niche desktops that have active support - https://fedoraproject.org/spins/
    All except GNOME.

Probably good you don't have any say in this then.
    Yes. Probably.

This statement makes no sense. There is no fragmentation here? How are you even defining fragmentation? An RPM works just as well on this as another and you install your gnome softwares just as easy on one spin as another. Anyway you seem to want *more* of these based on how people can't realize their dreams by making another Fedora spin?
    The fragmentation is the UI and how things are done. Mate, Sway, KDE, and GNOME users need different instructions to accomplish similar goals or they're not able to do the same things as each other. Konsole and GNOME-Terminal have different features and abilities.

I don't agree with what sophisticles would do, but I understand where he's coming from and do agree with the fragmentation and identity perspective.
    Last edited by skeevy420; 20 May 2024, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• panikal
    replied
    If anyone wants to know why Linux based OSes have such a paltry presence on the desktop, it's because of things like this, and some other things.

Why does it need an identity? Seems to be one of the top distros, and the best funded one for sure since this directly feeds RHEL. I thought based on your other posts that Linux sucks because of things like wayland or KDE sucks or etc?

They have decided that Gnome is their default desktop and they should eliminate all other spins and just focus on that.

The only difference I would make is use Gnome Classic, maybe spruce it up a bit, and pretend that other mode doesn't exist, possibly even disable it completely, with no chance of enabling it ever.
    Why disable modes and gnome classic? Can you not do this on your own desktop? Why make this default other than imposing your will on others that don't feel the same as you?
    If someone wanted to make a Fedora spin featuring some other DE, they would be on their own to realize their dream, it would be separate project, not hosted on Fedora's servers, nothing to do with Fedora, they would be on their own.
    Which desktop spin would you like to see that doesn't exist? There are plenty for even niche desktops that have active support - https://fedoraproject.org/spins/
    I would do the same thing with Ubuntu, pick a DE that they want to be the one and only desktop and forget about all the spins.
    Probably good you don't have any say in this then.
    The Linux fragmentation is bad enough, but when the various projects do it themselves, it just sucks.
    This statement makes no sense. There is no fragmentation here? How are you even defining fragmentation? An RPM works just as well on this as another and you install your gnome softwares just as easy on one spin as another. Anyway you seem to want *more* of these based on how people can't realize their dreams by making another Fedora spin?

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• milo_hoffman
    replied
    They do this but no hyprland spin? bah. Why don't they just due a WM spin with sway, hyprland, miracle etc all in one anyway? The extra disk space would be tiny just having them all installed on the same spin.

Leave a comment:

• bogdanbiv
    replied
    Also not to be confused with MiracleCast (a Wifi-Display/Miracast Implementation), https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast

Leave a comment:

Working...
X