Ubuntu 24.04 Beta Delayed Due To XZ Nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
    An antivirus works by comparing running processes and files against a given database.
    Unless you have heuristics enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

the whole XZ attack is a completely different threat from viruses
      I meant exactly that. With mac, windows you can have (controlled) backdoors, while using linux open your system for some random 3rd party library maintainers who can create their own, and distros will distribute them for free.
      (well those are jokes, but not jokes as we see right now)

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
        I just want to see a .05 or 0.11 release at some point in my life.
        But why?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

But why?
          But why not?

Comment

For those who haven't read the Discourse announcement, the delay is due to them rebuilding every package published to the repos since Feb 26th.​

Comment

But why not?
              Because it would mean the release is delayed, and that's not good. Why do you want that to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Because it would mean the release is delayed, and that's not good. Why do you want that to happen?
                Like this time? Why is delaying the release not good, if there is a good reason like security or other things? I just want it to happen. Its like being happy of a version number 69 o, 42 or 666. There is not much else to discuss about this. I just want to see a version delayed a month, so the version numbering breaks. That's all. Nobody will be hurt from this.

Comment

I just want to see a version delayed a month, so the version numbering breaks. That's all.
                  Oh, and here I thought you were spewing utter nonsense...

Nobody will be hurt from this.
                  People waiting for the next release will be "hurt" by it.

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post

I meant exactly that. With mac, windows you can have (controlled) backdoors, while using linux open your system for some random 3rd party library maintainers who can create their own, and distros will distribute them for free.
                    (well those are jokes, but not jokes as we see right now)
                    Look at up Apple's Triangulation attack. They knew there was a problem but nobody could figure it out. Then some Russians found out that Apple had some undocumented hardware functions. Took them years to figure it out.

Comment

The point of what exactly? The point of releasing later would be for any reason they need to, in example security (like now) or some changes in the back they need more testing than thought. Who knows what. It can be any reason to delay a release. I just want to see a .05 or 0.11 release at some point in my life.
                      Pop!_OS still tracks the Ubuntu version number it's based on even when it's released later in order to maintain compatibility with scripts written to check the Ubuntu version. In a similar vein, with how established Ubuntu's version numbering is at this point, I would not be surprised if Ubuntu decided to stick with the planned version number if they encountered a delay these days, rather than going through the work of changing it and having it be a special case in scripting/branding/etc. I could be wrong about how they'd handle it, but things are less wild-west in general than they used to be.

Comment

Working...
                      X