Ubuntu 24.04 Beta Delayed Due To XZ Nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Oh, and here I thought you were spewing utter nonsense...

People waiting for the next release will be "hurt" by it.
    I think he is just joking. It would just be fun to have 2 fives (25.05) in the version number instead of the typical 4 regardless if the release is delayed for any real reason.
    E.g. how we once had the date 11/11/11 etc., it's just a day in November 2011 but for some it tingles the brain (same numbers, technically a palindrome etc etc).
    I bet there is a name for when numbers have a psychological level of satisfaction for an individual.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

Like this time? Why is delaying the release not good, if there is a good reason like security or other things? I just want it to happen. Its like being happy of a version number 69 o, 42 or 666. There is not much else to discuss about this. I just want to see a version delayed a month, so the version numbering breaks. That's all. Nobody will be hurt from this.
      what if an IT department has planned to upgrade hundreds of machines? Or to install on new hardware and dismiss the older ones?
      this will force them to reschedule everything, and it might be a cost for the company.

Comment

Originally posted by tenchrio View Post
        It would just be fun to have 2 fives (25.05) in the version number
        If you say so... I mean, version 24.04 is coming out. Isn't that enough "number fun" for you folks?

we once had the date 11/11/11
        And that was somewhat interesting. The number "25.05" is about as interesting as Windows 3.11 (i.e. not very, and not worth holding up a release to us sane people).

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

what if an IT department has planned to upgrade hundreds of machines? Or to install on new hardware and dismiss the older ones?
          this will force them to reschedule everything, and it might be a cost for the company.
          So you suggest Ubuntu should not delay the current release, because of the XZ incident? If there is a good reason to delay, then they should. And everyone have to wait for it. For a reason. I'm not suggesting to delay for no reason.

Comment

So you suggest Ubuntu should not delay the current release, because of the XZ incident? If there is a good reason to delay, then they should. And everyone have to wait for it. For a reason. I'm not suggesting to delay for no reason.
            I didn't say anything like that.
            I was objecting to the statement that nobody will be hurt by a delay of a month.

Comment

I was objecting to the statement that nobody will be hurt by a delay of a month.
              I don't consider this as to be hurt. In fact, because of the delay they are not hurt.

Comment

I don't consider this as to be hurt. In fact, because of the delay they are not hurt.
                are you just typing on a keyboard or did you take the time to read and understand what I wrote and what I was answering to?

Comment

are you just typing on a keyboard or did you take the time to read and understand what I wrote and what I was answering to?
                  If you don't want discuss, then don't reply. I don't need nonsense replies. I told you everything you need to know.

Comment

If you don't want discuss, then don't reply. I don't need nonsense replies. I told you everything you need to know.
                    I wrote exactly who and why would be hurt by a delay. If you can't understand that, either you are 12yo and never worked in an IT department, or you didn't read/understand what I wrote.

Comment

I wrote exactly who and why would be hurt by a delay. If you can't understand that, either you are 12yo and never worked in an IT department, or you didn't read/understand what I wrote.
                      And I told you that I do not consider this to be hurt. They are in fact not hurt because of the delay. I guess I have to put another one to the block list, because of personal attacks. Man this forum really is bad as some people said...

Comment

Working...
                      X