Ubuntu 24.04 Beta Delayed Due To XZ Nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    You imply he is spewing utter nonsense then you claim that people waiting for the next release will be hurt.
    How exactly will they be hurt of the free OS is delayed by 30 days?
    Read post #32. Even if you're a regular user, having the final release delayed is annoying, at best. And the reason given for it ("because i want to see it different than normal") is just... stupid, at best.

Are they being hurt now by this delay?
    So far, only the Beta is delayed. But if you're using 24.04 at the moment, package management is not working well and updates are on hold.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      And the reason given for it ("because i want to see it different than normal") is just... stupid, at best
      The thing that is stupid is that people can't read. I never stated it should be delayed because I want a different number. I said it should be delayed for good reason, like this XZ thing going on. And then I have my magic numbers and can be happy. But people here (like you in this case) hallucinate and have problems understanding whats being said. Please go and read my replies before you talk about my statements (its about me I know, because I'm the first and only one who stated that).

Comment

That ppl care enough about Ubuntu to get upset over something like this is a sign of growth in their product.

Comment

If you say so... I mean, version 24.04 is coming out. Isn't that enough "number fun" for you folks?

And that was somewhat interesting. The number "25.05" is about as interesting as Windows 3.11 (i.e. not very, and not worth holding up a release to us sane people).
          Well I mean 25/05 = 05, √25 = 05, 25=5*5=25 or 05²=25 (so it would be funny if Ubuntu 25.05 is released on the 5th of May 2025), again it is silly and not everyone will get the humor of it, not a real reason to delay the system just a bit of fun (might make for a good Aprils fool joke). And 25.04 will be a non LTS version unlike 24.04 (which yes is still fun numbers wise) so not everyone will be willing to upgrade as fast to it unless it has a necessary feature or other reason (like on the way when upgrading to the next LTS, that being 26.04, when it comes out).

We don't even know what new features 25.04 (or even 24.10) will bring and when it comes to security updates they are always backported to the current LTS releases (those being 22.04, 20.04, technically still 18.04 with Pro and the soon to be released 24.04), newer kernels also eventually become available for the LTS releases.
          So a delay on 25.04 isn't that big of a deal compared to 24.04. For example with both Nvidia CUDA and AMD ROCM only the Ubuntu LTS versions are listed as supported, not the minor versions in between like 25.04. I'm not saying they should but it isn't that big of a deal if it were to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
            I never stated it should be delayed because I want a different number. I said it should be delayed for good reason
            The reason for the delay doesn't matter. It's not good, especially for reasons like this xz crap. Maybe you don't care about a delay, but other people do. Why would you hope for a scenario like that? Just so you can see a different version number or something with two 5's in it? C'mon. Quit acting misunderstood.

Comment

The reason for the delay doesn't matter.
              The reason matters a lot. Maybe you don't care about the reason, but other people do. If a delay based on dumb reason would happen, that would be unacceptable. But if the reason is for security reason and taking time to audit and rebuild the system in a secure manner, then this is acceptable. The reason for the delay is very important and matters for everyone who is awaiting it.

Stop telling me what I meant to say. I told you what I said and explained it multiple times. Stop acting like a child. There is nothing else to say about this. I wish someday there are good reason for Ubuntu to release it one month too late and give it a .05 name. That would be hilarious. I did not say it should be delayed because of the name, that is just the result. I hope you understand now.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
                The reason matters a lot. Maybe you don't care about the reason, but other people do. If a delay based on dumb reason would happen, that would be unacceptable. But if the reason is for security reason and taking time to audit and rebuild the system in a secure manner, then this is acceptable.
                It's acceptable, but it's not ideal. I hope Ubuntu releases are not delayed, because I am sane.

Stop telling me what I meant to say. ..I wish someday there are good reason for Ubuntu to release it one month too late and give it a .05 name.
                Yes, that is exactly what I got from your posts. And I'm telling you, it's stupid and juvenile. Strangely, you are are telling me to stop acting like a child. Find a mirror.

That would be hilarious.
                Not to a sane person. Even if the number thing is "neat", it's not funny if Ubuntu had a serious problem(s) and would have to delay their release.

Comment

Originally posted by SSJBurger View Post

If you are saying "what if an IT department planned on upgrading hundreds of machines within the first week of release, in this example Ubuntu 24.04".. I would say upgrading that fast in itself without testing is horrible practice for an IT department and in itself is harmful to the Company they planned on updating.
                  the original comment, if you cared to read before replying, was talking about a month, not a week.

Comment

Tumbleweed reverted the xz package immediately and then rebuilt everything also.

For snapshot 0328, Ring0 has been completely bootstrapped (as the attack vectors for xz were not fully known, we went the safest route) and for 0329 all of Tumbleweed rebuilt against that new base; Expect that snapshot to appear ‘large’ (even though many packages will not be different).

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

the original comment, if you cared to read before replying, was talking about a month, not a week.
                      Even a month is extremely early to make that kind of jump. I feel bad for the hypothetical Company that hypothetical IT team is doing a mass upgrade for lmao.

Comment

Working...
                      X