Fedora Workstation 41 To No Longer Install GNOME X.Org Session By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by avis View Post

You cannot use bitmap fonts together with fractional scaling in Wayland because such fonts will look blurry as hell.
    That's false, birdie. Wayland allows client rendering to be pixel-perfect at any scale. That includes bitmap fonts (assuming the bitmap font is available at the needed size, same as at 100% scaling).

Comment

• Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

That's false, birdie. Wayland allows client rendering to be pixel-perfect at any scale. That includes bitmap fonts (assuming the bitmap font is available at the needed size, same as at 100% scaling).
      That's false in theory, in practice I've tried three different native Wayland terminal emulators and all three had this bug. I don't give a damn about "possibilities" I work with implementations. Would be great if you stopped throwing the "false" mantra when you just want to disagree and then the real world tells you sit the fuck down.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
        Do you really mean UDP, not TCP?

If it's the latter, for rootless Xwayland, the Wayland compositor would need to pass "-listen tcp" on the Xwayland command line. If that's not possible or desirable, you can run a rootful Xwayland instance with "-listen tcp" and have your device connect to that.
        Yes, sorry, I meant TCP. And no, I could not get that to work. It would not accept TCP connections despite that argument. Maybe there are other issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnAccount View Post
          So, for Skype it is a deliberate choice to not support Wayland.
          Luckily we have XWayland Video Bridge (at least under KDE, there were some issues using it on GNOME. I don't know if they were fixed or not). It's embarrassing that KDE had to make that because developers somehow seem unwilling to develop, even if there is a de-facto standard that provides the functionality they need, they'd rather be broken.

Comment

• Originally posted by mSparks View Post
            I also use xsecurelock to lock all my devices when i leave the room which doesn't have a wayland equivelent.
            What's the use-case for that? One of the advantages of Wayland compositors is that screen locking is done by the compositor (which is the right place to do it, there's no argument here) so that it can be done securely. Logind is also used so that the session is locked even if the screenlocker itself were to somehow fail.

Comment

• Originally posted by avis View Post

That's false in theory, in practice I've tried three different native Wayland terminal emulators and all three had this bug. I don't give a damn about "possibilities" I work with implementations. Would be great if you stopped throwing the "false" mantra when you just want to disagree and then the real world tells you sit the fuck down.
              Hmm

Screenshot_Debian12_2024-03-09_12:09:57.png
              Above: Debian 12, GNOME 43 Wayland session 100% scale, GNOME Terminal, Terminus font
              Below: Same, but 200% scale

Screenshot_Debian12_2024-03-09_12:11:06.png

EDIT: Bleh, forum image mangling

Lets see if this works: https://imgur.com/a/8LLNULK

Last edited by access; 09 March 2024, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by access View Post

Hmm

Above: Debian 12, GNOME 43 Wayland session 100% scale, GNOME Terminal, Terminus font
                Below: Same, but 200% scale
                Please post somewhere else where I can download full scale pristine PNG files. E.g. imgbb or imgur. Thanks! And I'm looking forward to 125 or 175% scale factors, please.

Michael has set up the forum software here such a way all pictures are shrunk to 50KB maximum.

Comment

• access

200% looks great, thanks! Could you please try 125 or 175%?

And does Gnome allow to set something unusual, e.g. 133%? That's what I'm using currently.

Comment

• Ye olde GNOME 43 doesn't have support for the fractional_scale_v1 protocol so it'll look blurry. I'll try and dist upgrade to trixie to see how 44/45 behaves.

Comment

• Well here we go: https://imgur.com/a/4aG22KI

125, 150 and 175... and also some 200 with font-scaling down to simulate 1.33 and 100% scaling up to 1.33 font-scaling. You'd need a terminal emulator that is catered towards bitmap fonts and does some jiggling by picking the closest size to paint perfectly at fractional scales as there are no physical fractional pixels (as the name implies).

Comment

Working...
                      X