Fedora Workstation 41 To No Longer Install GNOME X.Org Session By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Workstation 41 To No Longer Install GNOME X.Org Session By Default

Phoronix: Fedora Workstation 41 To No Longer Install GNOME X.Org Session By Default

Fedora Workstation has long defaulted to using GNOME's Wayland session by default, but it has continued to install the GNOME X.Org session for fallback purposes or those opting to use it instead. But for the Fedora Workstation 41 release later in the year, there is a newly-approved plan to no longer have that GNOME X.Org session installed by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Based.

Comment

2024, the real year of Walyand, finally?

Comment

Whether you are an AMD, Intel, or Nvidia user, this is a great move. Gnome developers can now focus on fixing Wayland bugs instead of wasting manpower and resources triaging Mutter/X.org issues. This should also motivate Nvidia developers to improve their Wayland driver support. This should also open the door for AMD and Intel to continue improving their open-source drivers.

As an AMD/Nvidia user myself, I welcome this change and think this is made in the right direction.​
        Last edited by carguello2; 07 March 2024, 01:54 AM. Reason: Edit: Typo.

Comment

Fedora will lose some users over this. Wayland works well in general, but off the top of my head screen sharing still doesn't fully work, video screen recording still doesn't fully work, and global hotkeys for applications such as VLC still don't work. There's probably a lot more issues still. Some people such as myself use these every day for work. Without an Xorg fallback this will be a non-starter.

Comment

Long live Wayland.
            Be careful with that. We might not want it to live as long as X11 has.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Fedora will lose some users over this. Wayland works well in general, but off the top of my head screen sharing still doesn't fully work, video screen recording still doesn't fully work, and global hotkeys for applications such as VLC still don't work. There's probably a lot more issues still. Some people such as myself use these every day for work. Without an Xorg fallback this will be a non-starter.
              You're understanding of Wayland seems to not be up to date.
              Screen sharing/recording & hot keys works if the portals are implemented.

KDE6 has these features.
              Hyprland from what I've seen has them.
              I don't follow Gnome 🤷‍♂️
              Last edited by robojerk; 08 March 2024, 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by robojerk View Post

You're understanding of Wayland seems to not be up to date.
                Screen sharing/recording & hot keys works if the portasl are implemented.

KDE6 had these features.
                Hyprland from what I've seen has them.
                I don't follow Gnome 🤷‍♂️
                Indeed. I'm using ms teams for work in chromium on Fedora 39 Wayland and both video conferencing and desktop sharing works just fine.

Comment

Hi everyone, I use Ubuntu Mate, I would be happy to switch to Wayland but I haven't found any program that perfectly replaces xdotool.

Comment

But despite having been using fedora for 20 years I will keep yelling at the clouds instead of installing X or changing my distribution

Stop changing things!

c5e70f47817010913b21a29cf0e2fb07b537e2473506bb1b184d508e0c656411~2.jpg
                    Last edited by Hazel; 07 March 2024, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X