No announcement yet.

Fedora Workstation 41 To No Longer Install GNOME X.Org Session By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

given all of the software i use either doesnt work at all or performs terribly under wayland/xwayland, does this mean upgrading to this fedora version will bork my system?

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
      given all of the software i use either doesnt work at all or performs terribly under wayland/xwayland, does this mean upgrading to this fedora version will bork my system?
      I think you're being a little dramatic... What software do you use that not a single application is not going to work with Gnome in Feodra 43?

Comment

Originally posted by robojerk View Post

I think you're being a little dramatic... What software do you use that not a single application is not going to work with Gnome in Feodra 43?
        everything in VR for a start

this stuff

since VR is known not to work with gnome wayland.

CS2 is also unplayable under wayland.

Thats just the big ticket items, everything else runs under xwayland which runs like crap (and makes wayland completely moot anyway), e.g. not remembering where to place the windows and pretty much everything I tried having something seriously borken.

I also use xsecurelock to lock all my devices when i leave the room which doesn't have a wayland equivelent.
        Last edited by mSparks; 07 March 2024, 09:24 PM.

Comment

everything in VR for a start
          Use KDE?

Comment

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post

How is X.org a burden, if it is unmaintained?
            It is either maintained, or no burden at all, since it already works the way most people need it to. Security bugs get fixed, and that is it. And people fixing X11 security problems are not the same people as those who develop Wayland, so there is no loss of (wo)manpower over that.

Technical debt is not maintained. It comes from lack of maintenance over time.
            Wayland feature incompleteness does not come from lack of programmers, but from poor design.
            Companies pay those developers. Also they pay for hardware and infrastructure. Also adds efforts to management , HR, etc. That's a burden. Unless those developers are all volunteers that do it on their private lifes but I believe Xorg is mostly sustained by Red Hat.

Also companies usually are reticent to distribute unmaintained software because that expose them to risks with their customers. Any issue could impact customer trust, company image, or even legal risk. If the potential gain is marginal there may no be appetite for it.

Comment

If your life relies on legacy apps, you shouldn't be choosing Fedora in the first place. In case you are, you ought to switch to Rocky Linux 9 with a desktop environment, which shares a pretty similar ecosystem with Fedora, but instead of following the trend everything is rock stable.

Comment

Originally posted by robojerk View Post
                Use KDE?
                I switched from kde to gnome about 3 years ago, which was the last remnant of any windows ui garbage of anything i use, no way I would go back.

I just got my entire entire setup working flawlessly, if FC is going to be made useless Ill probably just jump over to Debian, not sure they are much better with their habbit of intentionally breaking nvidia support, but at least get another 10 years or so of support by devs without an infatuation for reinventing the wheel and ignoring all the cool stuff.

I actually have an oracle 8 system which works well, or "maybe" there will be a decent openELA distro out by the time it matters.

I take it by your line of questioning the intention is to break everything I just mentioned.

upside I suppose is aiui this idiocy was originally planned for FC40, at least they put another 12 months on it.

Comment

Originally posted by cend View Post

If your life relies on legacy apps, you shouldn't be choosing Fedora in the first place. In case you are, you ought to switch to Rocky Linux 9 with a desktop environment, which shares a pretty similar ecosystem with Fedora, but instead of following the trend everything is rock stable.
                  I reject your unfounded assertion that server and VR development is "legacy" outright, you may be happy paying amazon $100 a month for the compute power of a rasberry pi, but I have no intention of jumping on your bandwagon thanks.
                  Last edited by mSparks; 07 March 2024, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I reject your unfounded assertion that server development is "legacy" outright, you may be happy paying amazon $100 a month for the compute power of a rasberry pi, but I have no intention of jumping on your bandwagon thanks.
                    That's desktop apps that has little chance to port to Wayland, not server apps. Legacy is a bit of a misnomer, yes, but your response is ad hominem.

Comment

Originally posted by cend View Post

That's desktop apps that has little chance to port to Wayland, not server apps. Legacy is a bit of a misnomer, yes, but your response is ad hominem.
                      I am on fedora atm because once upon a time it was the best place for mutual support for the latest and greatest hardware and software on linux that will eventually run on enterprise machines.

The current trend is clear, redhat is pressuring/paying the fedora devs to abandon that and focus on a linux that only has a "minimal and fast compositor and is suitable for many embedded and mobile use cases." (to quote the wayland docs directly)

I, along with 99.999% of linux developers have exactly zero interest in that so called "trend".

Comment

Working...
                      X