openSUSE Tumbleweed Is Finding Success Moving From GRUB To systemd-boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Its a simple bootloader for the UEFI era? Like it or not BIOS booting has been replaced by UEFI and the old simple tools like syslinux and lilo have been dead for years. systemd-boot is small and uncomplicated and can easily be adopted by modern distros aiming for UEFI era x86 hardware, or like 85% of the consumer desktop/laptop computing market.
    the uefi era - that does not need any bootloader at all?
    Like it or not, with uefi, you do not need any bootloader at all.
    google efibootmgr. The uefi firmware does the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by potens View Post
      Last time I checked, grub was not able to do some of the stuffs systemd-boot is able to, i.e. from Linux asking next reboot to go to the EFI setup, or booting another os, once, next time, or counting the number of failure to start the default, and fallback passed this count (not sure anymore if it was a plan or if it does it)
      Edit: yes it does: https://systemd.io/AUTOMATIC_BOOT_ASSESSMENT/
      something you can do with efibootmgr. Just change the boot order. Done. Simple one liner. UEFI era: we do not need bootmanagers or bootloaders. The firmware can do it. Boot into different kernel or uefi 'bios' screen. Several boot failures? My mainboard dumps me into the config to change my boot settings. Again, nothing like systemd-boot needed.

So what is the point of this software? If it adds something uefi can't do for you, grub probably can do it better.

Comment

From init to a whole OS

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post

and how do you pass kernel options on the fly?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post

The UEFI era is still just as weirdly shitty as the BIOS era. I have a laptop that will only boot the windows entry or an external device. But beyond bad devices theres also the ease of use of not having to spam f10 or whatever to get the firmware boot devices menu, and multiple entries for different kernels or entries should you want to add different options. Writing a line or two into a config file is easier than futzing around with efibootmgr just cause you accidentally got one character in the guid wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X