openSUSE Tumbleweed Is Finding Success Moving From GRUB To systemd-boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Tumbleweed Is Finding Success Moving From GRUB To systemd-boot

Phoronix: openSUSE Tumbleweed Is Finding Success Moving From GRUB To systemd-boot

While still an experimental option, the rolling-release systemd Tumbleweed Linux distribution is finding great results in using systemd-boot rather than the GRUB bootloader...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it play well with u-boot?

Comment

system-d controlling boot? eww nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
        Don't worry, we can call it Gummiboot and now its a whole different thing

Comment

It is so named because it is distributed as part of systemd's source code. Rest assured that Gummiboot won't start systemd until Linux is started.

Comment

Are there any disadvantages for a normal openSUSE Desktop user with systemd-boot? I don't need encryption and the OS would be the only OS on the system.

Comment

It's just named system-d boot, but it's completely unrelated to system-d and can be used with or without it. To me it's an unfortunate name, because it implies that its tied to system-d, as you assumed it. In EndeavourOS in example (which is using system-d in general), we can use grub or system-d boot. I switched to system-d boot and its much more simple and has less possibilities to fail or get attacked. grub is basically what x11 is for Linux, and system-d boot is Wayland equivalent.

Comment

I just like grub.

Comment

As I understand it, systemd-boot is simpler and less flexible than GRUB.

This is advantageous when your use-case is covered by systemd-boot's capabilities. Simpler is better. Fewer things to misconfigure and go wrong. However, if you need the extra flexibility that GRUB provides, you are our of luck with systemd-boot.

I would not be surprised if the majority of users' needs are covered by systemd-boot, which is not good for those that need GRUB's additional capabilities, as there will be fewer resources devoted to fault-finding and developing GRUB.

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
                    Are there any disadvantages for a normal openSUSE Desktop user with systemd-boot? I don't need encryption and the OS would be the only OS on the system.
                    Well, there's no disadvantages especially if you only use one os, if you do dualboot, one disadvantage is, you'll lost config that familiar to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X