Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMediaVault 7.0 Released For Debian 12 Powered NAS Platform

Phoronix: OpenMediaVault 7.0 Released For Debian 12 Powered NAS Platform

OpenMediaVault 7.0 was released today as a major update to this open-source Network Attached Storage (NAS) solution built around Debian Linux. This plug-based NAS platform with web UI allows supporting a variety of services/protocols is now even more capable with the OpenMediaVault 7.0 availability...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Omv worked very well for me, until i realized there was no way to upgrade the base Debian system without manual editing of various config files all over the system, and there was no guarantee that it would work
    Has this been fixed?

Comment

Only adventurer/expert users shoud try the upgrade from 6.xx to 7 in place. For the 99% of the users it should work, but for users of anything different from vanila OpenMediaVault or users of RAID the upgrade is not guaranteed to work, without reading their forum for warnings. Still my upgrade went smoothly and with no issues. As usual, YMMV

Comment

I was thinking a long time about whether to go with OpenMediaVault, TrueNAS SCALE or Unraid when rebuilding my old one-os-for-everything Debian home server.
        Eventually I ended up running Proxmox with a Portainer LXC for Dockerised applications, manually configured ZFS and Samba on the host, basically treating it like a hybrid between an old school Linux server and a modern NAS, where Proxmox is for me mostly just a GUI for LXC and KVM.

Can someone who have actually used one of OpenMediaVault, TrueNAS SCALE or Unraid confirm how easy it is do create and run custom dockerized apps? What I like about Portainer is that I can directly in the GUI edit docker-compose files and even build new images by writing a Dockerfile and clicking Build without even leaving the web browser.

While it's nice to have a good selection of preconfigured applications, if it's not simple to run my personal and customized services I might as well go back to the old way of bash scripts managed with Vim.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxie View Post
          I was thinking a long time about whether to go with OpenMediaVault, TrueNAS SCALE or Unraid when rebuilding my old one-os-for-everything Debian home server.
          Eventually I ended up running Proxmox with a Portainer LXC for Dockerised applications, manually configured ZFS and Samba on the host, basically treating it like a hybrid between an old school Linux server and a modern NAS, where Proxmox is for me mostly just a GUI for LXC and KVM.

Can someone who have actually used one of OpenMediaVault, TrueNAS SCALE or Unraid confirm how easy it is do create and run custom dockerized apps? What I like about Portainer is that I can directly in the GUI edit docker-compose files and even build new images by writing a Dockerfile and clicking Build without even leaving the web browser.

While it's nice to have a good selection of preconfigured applications, if it's not simple to run my personal and customized services I might as well go back to the old way of bash scripts managed with Vim.
          I'm 90% sure proxmox with an lxc docker is the way.

a year ago for a quarter or two, I ran a trunas/trunascale VM and was met with a lot of overhead and a lack of stability in both BSD and Linux. I ended up transitioning to Scale bc it played much more nicely with qemu-guest-agent. I will admit that 50% of my ZFS management knowledge was gleaned via Scale, but I quickly transitioned that into bare metal ZFS, completely cutting out scale, with more resiliency and better ergonomics.

bc of this experience, I don't trust non-ZFS builds: I've done some horrific things and I haven't lost a KB. this makes me shy away from both OMV and unraid. I recently sent a college buddy a wedding gift care package of HDDs and I'm lost as to what to recommend him.

Scale's docker management has improved vastly, but I ultimately think it's just a bridge to Proxmox. Try out Scale in a VM, and try out Dockge in an LXC.

Comment

Working...
          X