Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Features Approved For Fedora 40, Renewed Debate Over Dropping KDE X11 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post
    Don't feed the troll
    I am a troll because I asked what percentage of stability and bugs is an acceptable threshold to trigger a release?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Name 10 unique ones.
      Here's 44, each with a few thousand configurable options each
      PowerEdge Rack Servers - Shop Rack Servers - Poweredge Rack server with one socket, two socket and with Intel & AMD processor for your business needs.

There's a lot more to the hardware software world than a playstation 5 and a PC with a pirated copy of windows on it, you should get out of your mums basement a bit more.

Comment

It's not possible to release something that is 100% stable and bug free?

That's a sad statement and explains why despite of decades of work, and billions invested, Linux as a desktop OS is barely a blip on the radar.

It's time to adopt a much more professional goal, complete stability and zero bugs.

If 100% is not something the project wants to strive for, then what is acceptable?

90%?

80%?

Lower?

Maybe it's time to start charging using a similar pricing model that MS, charge $100 for a per seat license and in exchange the guarantee is 100% stability with zero bugs.
        Lol. WTF are you smoking? No one will provide a 100% bug free experience. No one. Not Apple. Not Microsoft. Not anyone and their lawyers will sure as shit not allow them to publish anything saying they are.

Comment

I am a troll because I asked what percentage of stability and bugs is an acceptable threshold to trigger a release?
          No, you're a troll because you're being purposefully obtuse with your 100% bug free or it's shit statements.

Comment

You can think millions of software-hardware configurations?

Name 10 unique ones.
            Any motherboard mfg (Asus, Tyan, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock, SuperMicro) with any number of BIOS versions and combine that with any number of nVidia or AMD GPUs or Intel / AMD CPUs and different chipsets going back 5 years and then do the math. You've got at least 100k different combos right there.

Comment

If you go by page hits on distrowatch, Arch is 64 on the list of 100 most visited pages:

I think Phoronix might be a weird echo chamber for Arch.
              Arch is very popular among power users. Not so much newbies. So it makes sense that andyprough might overestimate it's usage because that's the crowd he talks with, and distrowatch is probably underestimating it because it's users aren't the type to go there.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

Lol. WTF are you smoking? No one will provide a 100% bug free experience. No one. Not Apple. Not Microsoft. Not anyone and their lawyers will sure as shit not allow them to publish anything saying they are.
                So then what is the target?

This should not be such a difficult question to answer.

What percent stability are you expecting with a Fedora 39 install?

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

No, you're a troll because you're being purposefully obtuse with your 100% bug free or it's shit statements.
                  You would prefer if I was acute?

Comment

So then what is the target?

This should not be such a difficult question to answer.

What percent stability are you expecting with a Fedora 39 install?
                    Bug-free is unfortunately impossible.

Even the most basic Hello World can be broken to hell if the libraries, SDK or compiler used to build it has issues. Also, a program or application is definitely not bug-free just because it works; it just means nobody has managed to break the program or application yet.

Sharing a little anecdote here: I have been following a small Chinese mobile game development studio's weekly updates about a certain project. Their lead developer posts weekly videos of their progress on this project, and two months ago they felt the game was ready enough to enter closed testing. Internally, they play-tested it and were quite confident no silly bugs were present.

In just a week after closed testing invites were sent out, they got swamped by > 100 bug reports which the lead developer couldn't even understand how they could have been triggered by the players.
                    Last edited by Sonadow; 02 February 2024, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Considering Fedora, along with Ubuntu, Mint and MX Linux, is the premiere distro, they should make sure that whatever they release will be 100% stable and bug free.

If they do not think this is possible with Wayland, then they need to stick with X11.
                      Fedora is not like the others. Fedora's purpose it to be leading edge of Linux and pushing the latest technologies/developments, with upstream, to help advance Linux as a whole. Mint's purpose for example is to provide a comfortable, mature and familiar looking environment where very little changes. MX Linux, I have no idea why that oddball is mentioned together with the three big ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X