Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Features Approved For Fedora 40, Renewed Debate Over Dropping KDE X11 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

It's not possible to release something that is 100% stable and bug free?
    No, and everyone has known this for decades now.

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

This is the last thing I will say replying to you because I risk feeding the troll:

Windows ( well, **ANY** software) is not 100% stable and bug free. Period.

Does that make what I said originally clearer?
      It makes it sadder because I have never had a clean install of Windows that was buggy or unstable.

What i have had is third party drivers that were buggy and unstable, yes.

And there have been updates that were not properly tested, yes.

But the core OS has always been like a rock.

However you did sidestep my question.

At what point are you satisfied with the work you have done?

If the release is stable and bug free for 50% of users, do you consider that a win?

At what point do you consider it a failure?

When you start with the mindset that it will never be 100% stable and bug free, you have already failed.

This isn't just you, it's open source in general, they need to get out of the mentality that "good enough" is good enough.

If you need a project manager let me know, I'm serious.

I will make Fedora 41 the gold standard among distros.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Phoronix is a weird echo chamber for Fedora users, but out in the real world Arch is clearly dominant now and virtually no one uses Fedora.
        yeah, but afaics this isnt about numbers of users or what people use linux for.

Its about a load of redhat employees who couldnt find new jobs after the IBM purchase trying to meet the terms of their performance improvement plans so as not to be included in the next round of layoffs.

Historically, from personal experience, the wider FC community has been mostly enterprise devs building and maintaining bespoke software for enterprise, FC gave a nice mix of what our customers would be using in a few years and plenty of opportunity to file bugs we needed fixing before things went to production.

All that looks like it ends with FC40.
        Last edited by mSparks; 01 February 2024, 06:51 PM.

Comment

What i have had is third party drivers that were buggy and unstable, yes.
          When your OS depends on third party drivers, driver bugs are bugs in the OS for all practical purposes. Just calling them third party does nothing for users suffering from those bugs whether they are in the "Core OS" or drivers and of course the core os have always had bugs too. Even Microsoft and Apple wouldn't dare to claim otherwise.

When you start with the mindset that it will never be 100% stable and bug free, you have already failed.

This isn't just you, it's open source in general, they need to get out of the mentality that "good enough" is good enough.
          It has nothing to do with open source. All consumer operating systems releases have bugs. Always have. Always will. Even the OS responsible for medical devices and nuclear launches have bugs. They just certify those bugs are not relevant to the targeted use case and call it good enough. I know because I have been there and done that.

If you need a project manager let me know, I'm serious.

I will make Fedora 41 the gold standard among distros.
          You don't need anyone's permission to volunteer. If you are interested, you should just do it.

Comment

It's not possible to release something that is 100% stable and bug free?

That's a sad statement and explains why despite of decades of work, and billions invested, Linux as a desktop OS is barely a blip on the radar.

It's time to adopt a much more professional goal, complete stability and zero bugs.

If 100% is not something the project wants to strive for, then what is acceptable?

90%?

80%?

Lower?

Maybe it's time to start charging using a similar pricing model that MS, charge $100 for a per seat license and in exchange the guarantee is 100% stability with zero bugs.
            You are wrong, there is no bug-free software regardless of whether it is Linux, Windows or Mac OS, it simply does not exist, especially on software that is installed on different hardware configurations, it is impossible to test the software on millions of software-hardware configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

When your OS depends on third party drivers, driver bugs are bugs in the OS for all practical purposes. Just calling them third party does nothing for users suffering from those bugs whether they are in the "Core OS" or drivers and of course the core os have always had bugs too. Even Microsoft and Apple wouldn't dare to claim otherwise.

It has nothing to do with open source. All consumer operating systems releases have bugs. Always have. Always will. Even the OS responsible for medical devices and nuclear launches have bugs. They just certify those bugs are not relevant to the targeted use case and call it good enough. I know because I have been there and done that.

You don't need anyone's permission to volunteer. If you are interested, you should just do it.
              Don't feed the troll

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post

You are wrong, there is no bug-free software regardless of whether it is Linux, Windows or Mac OS, it simply does not exist, especially on software that is installed on different hardware configurations, it is impossible to test the software on millions of software-hardware configurations.
                Don't feed the troll

Comment

It makes it sadder because I have never had a clean install of Windows that was buggy or unstable.
                  All that does is tell everyone you only use a PC for simple MS word, powerpoint, maybe excel documents and a little gaming.

Maybe dont be so proud of that experience? no one is impressed by it.

Comment

Sounds like another boring release, mainly bumping a few version numbers. I really with they would go ahead with subarch/hwcaps support.

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post
                      You can think millions of software-hardware configurations?

Name 10 unique ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X