Arch-Based Endeavour OS Updates ISO With Linux 6.7 Kernel, Mesa 23.3.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

i've had some odd issues with endeavor regarding wifi, they did something with firewalld that breaks waydroid inexplicably and I havent found a way to fix it, so it's not a "easy arch" they for sure do some kind of tweaking. but it is the least offensive "easy modes" out there, but it aint arch. As always if you want arch, just use arch, if not then feel free.
    Yep this is what I'm talking about I've tried so many times for an easy arch, I just want to get a working system up fast. They just don't seem to work, so I use regular arch. With arch install I'm not even sure this is the case anymore... Oh well I have an old Lenovo W540 that I'm looking at, I might try it.

One thing I did get out of these alternative spins is some hints at setting up my system with better defaults.

Comment

Packages installed by default:

I know little of Endeavour OS, but that list says enough.

firefox : my favorite browser

pacman : best package manager I know

yay : don't need an aur helper, makepkg + local custom repo work much better.

firewalld : I use nftables directly, no need for a frontend.

pipewire : I prefer pure alsa, all I need of pipewire is libpipewire to inform applications there's no pipewire support.

nvidia installer : I own or help maintain 4 amd only systems, 1 with intel integrated graphics and no systems with nvidia.

dracut : mkinitcpio serves my needs well but dracut has a good reputation. maybe.

Out of 7 choices made by the distro that's 2x I agree with, 1x maybe and 4x : should NEVER be installed by default.

Comment

Not a bad effort. Granted, having been an Arch user for approaching two decades now, i don't have a need for it, but it is nice for giving less advanced users the option to begin with Arch. Question: Is it a live usb distro, and if it is, is it better than Ubuntu? Cause i am still making up-to-date Ubuntu usbs just in case i need a live GUI environment for troubleshooting purposes, and if this is good enough, i might switch to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
          As an Arch user, what is the selling point of these derivatives? Is it just that they have a fancy installer and some more default packages?

I see that EndavorOS seems to have an ARM variant, which sound interesting (Arch Linux ARM appears dead/dying?). But I run my Pi as a headless server, so if this is desktop focused that would be of little use to me.
          The easy installation is certainly a big plus. The installation media are also useful for recovery, if needed.
          Other than that EndeavourOS is very close to Arch. Much closer to Arch than Manjaro for example.

The 2nd biggest plus for EndeavourOS is the user forum. Friendly and helpful to everybody. The arch forum is not that inclusive ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by mbod View Post

The easy installation is certainly a big plus. The installation media are also useful for recovery, if needed.
            Other than that EndeavourOS is very close to Arch. Much closer to Arch than Manjaro for example.

The 2nd biggest plus for EndeavourOS is the user forum. Friendly and helpful to everybody. The arch forum is not that inclusive ;-)
            I can recommend the arch irc channel though (well, if you run Arch). Forums do indeed seem a bit worse (but I rarely found myself reading on it, and never posted). Arch wiki is probably one of the best documentations out there for Linux.

Comment

Working...
            X