Arch-Based Endeavour OS Updates ISO With Linux 6.7 Kernel, Mesa 23.3.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch-Based Endeavour OS Updates ISO With Linux 6.7 Kernel, Mesa 23.3.3

Phoronix: Arch-Based Endeavour OS Updates ISO With Linux 6.7 Kernel, Mesa 23.3.3

Endeavour OS as the popular desktop rolling-release Linux distribution built upon Arch Linux has published updated ISOs that bundle in the stable Linux 6.7 kernel as well as other package updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is my main os for a year now. It was worth it to switch from the similar Manjaro, they had many stupid issues like old GPG keys time to time...

Meanwhile Eos is just works, and it's like a user friendly Arch.​ It's a terminal centric distro, but IRL not too much terminal usage is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepsz View Post
      This is my main os for a year now. It was worth it to switch from the similar Manjaro, they had many stupid issues like old GPG keys time to time...

Meanwhile Eos is just works, and it's like a user friendly Arch.​ It's a terminal centric distro, but IRL not too much terminal usage is needed.
      I'm leery I've never had an Arch derivative just work for me no matter how much I try, I will try this I guess if I get a new computer. 0/3 with Manjaro and 0/1 Garuda

Comment

As an Arch user, what is the selling point of these derivatives? Is it just that they have a fancy installer and some more default packages?

I see that EndavorOS seems to have an ARM variant, which sound interesting (Arch Linux ARM appears dead/dying?). But I run my Pi as a headless server, so if this is desktop focused that would be of little use to me.

Comment

Yes EndeavourOS is great distro. Completely satisfied for several years with KDE desktop

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
            As an Arch user, what is the selling point of these derivatives? Is it just that they have a fancy installer and some more default packages?

I see that EndavorOS seems to have an ARM variant, which sound interesting (Arch Linux ARM appears dead/dying?). But I run my Pi as a headless server, so if this is desktop focused that would be of little use to me.
            Great community, good defaults and nice theming.

95% of the time I'd pick the same settings they do anyway, so why bother going the manual route? I find nothing about the manual Arch install process challenging or gratifying. There's archinstall now, which I probably would have picked if it was available when I switched to EndeavourOS, but if I'd reinstall now I'd go for NixOS anyway.

Comment

Too much purple. Hard pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonjolt View Post

I'm leery I've never had an Arch derivative just work for me no matter how much I try, I will try this I guess if I get a new computer. 0/3 with Manjaro and 0/1 Garuda
                The difference with Endeavour OS is that it uses the upstream Arch repositories instead of rolling its own downstream. The Endeavour OS repo only contains a handful of packages for things like their onboarding app as far as I remember. The real strength of Endeavour, though, is its community. They welcome Endeavour users, Arch users, and I believe users of other Arch-based distros to come to their forums and ask for help. There's a much stronger focus there than on Arch.

As an Arch user, aside from the occasional AUR comment or answering someone's question on Reddit, I never feel part of a community of users and generally find the reputation Arch users have garnered for being a little hostile to be unfortunately true in many cases. I'm still using Arch on all my computers but it's mostly down to convenience and familiarity at this point. Pretty much any software I'd like to use is packaged in the repo or in the AUR and after coming to grips with how annoying it was to try to package things on Solus or Fedora, I went right back home to Arch.

Comment

So this is like a friendly version of Arch, but better than Manjaro?
                  Isn't Garuda similar?
                  What are the differences between Garuda and this?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    Too much purple. Hard pass.
                    LOL. I'm just as shallow

Comment

Working...
                    X