Arch-Based Endeavour OS Updates ISO With Linux 6.7 Kernel, Mesa 23.3.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
    As an Arch user, what is the selling point of these derivatives? Is it just that they have a fancy installer and some more default packages?
    Those do help. The only difference from Arch and distros like Endeavour OS is that all the stuff you'd expect an OS to have like a UI and web browser will come preinstalled. I find it strange that some people think that typing in commands for hours to install every little thing is somehow a right of passage for Arch users.
    I use arch btw.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      So this is like a friendly version of Arch, but better than Manjaro?
      Isn't Garuda similar?
      What are the differences between Garuda and this?
      The visual appearance of Garuda is something that hard to digest.

*Eos is better than Manjaro for home user. For example, they don't removed the h264, h265 and VC1​ decode support from mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Those do help. The only difference from Arch and distros like Endeavour OS is that all the stuff you'd expect an OS to have like a UI and web browser will come preinstalled. I find it strange that some people think that typing in commands for hours to install every little thing is somehow a right of passage for Arch users.
        I haven't done a manual Arch installation in years. The installation media includes a guided installer `archinstall` for 3 years now. You can go from an empty hard drive to the DE/WM of your choice in a matter of 15-20 minutes on a decent internet connection. You can even provide it a list of additional packages to install alongside the OS so that at first boot you already have Firefox, Blender, Reaper, or whatever other stuff you use ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepsz View Post

The visual appearance of Garuda is something that hard to digest.
          I recently noticed that Garuda also offers a "Garuda Linux KDE lite" spin, which is a good starting point to avoid all the candy.

Comment

Originally posted by alphabitserial View Post

I haven't done a manual Arch installation in years. The installation media includes a guided installer `archinstall` for 3 years now. You can go from an empty hard drive to the DE/WM of your choice in a matter of 15-20 minutes on a decent internet connection. You can even provide it a list of additional packages to install alongside the OS so that at first boot you already have Firefox, Blender, Reaper, or whatever other stuff you use ready to go.
            Which one of these allows me to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Schalefer View Post

I recently noticed that Garuda also offers a "Garuda Linux KDE lite" spin, which is a good starting point to avoid all the candy.
              Indeed. The KDE Lite version is the version I usually install these days. I like Garuda because it comes pre-setup with chaotic AUR and a few other sane settings, but I don't particularly like the default theme they apply. Though, to be fair, switching back to the default theme on the "Dragonized" version of Garuda is a matter of like 3 clicks.

As for EndeavorOS, I was looking to try it out but I noticed that they made community versions of the OS much harder to access. You first have to install a "supported" version, then run a script which grabs all of the packages/configs for the community version. This leaves you with a ton of packages and a DE installed that you might not want, with no easy way to remove them.

Comment

Endeavour OS is superb and highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonjolt View Post

I'm leery I've never had an Arch derivative just work for me no matter how much I try, I will try this I guess if I get a new computer. 0/3 with Manjaro and 0/1 Garuda
                  i've had some odd issues with endeavor regarding wifi, they did something with firewalld that breaks waydroid inexplicably and I havent found a way to fix it, so it's not a "easy arch" they for sure do some kind of tweaking. but it is the least offensive "easy modes" out there, but it aint arch. As always if you want arch, just use arch, if not then feel free.

Comment

I use Endeavour, simply because Arch just outright couldn't boot from my Optane drive. At the time, I didn't know what I was missing to make it work, and apparently the extra stuff in EOS made it work without much struggle.

Comment

does it come with systemd or do they try different init systems? Is kde and gnome available on the iso (or can be installed via the installer)? does it work with secure boot enabled computers?

Comment

Working...
                      X