Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Will Aim To Ship With The Linux 6.8 Kernel

Phoronix: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Will Aim To Ship With The Linux 6.8 Kernel

As some terrific news, Canonical laid out their kernel plans for Ubuntu 24.04 LTS and they are being ambitious with plans to ship the in-development Linux 6.8 kernel as their default kernel on this next long-term support Ubuntu desktop/server distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

6.8 is not an LTS kernel, why?

Comment

They should change their sub-optimal configuration, targeting neither desktops nor servers.

Comment

Gradually, various optimizations for desktop and playing so that compatibility with older things does not break. Too bad I have no idea where to look for an overview.​

Comment

Good. That means Ubuntu derivatives will also have fresh packages. In these years where gaming on Linux is a viable option, things like mesa 24 is a must-have thing

It is strange that so popular distros like Linux Mint still uses the 5.15 kernel on their main installer iso... Yes, they released an Edge iso recently, but I think you see my point.​

Comment

I guess the reason they now decided to go with the latest kernel instead of the latest LTS kernel like in the previous Ubuntu LTS releases, is because recently it was announced that LTS kernels would receive only 2 or 3 years of support instead of 6. Of course we don't no the exact reason, but I'm sure that the change in Linux LTS support cycle is at least a factor in this decision.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              We wonder this with damn near every single Ubuntu LTS release, but this time it actually makes a lot of sense because there have been some big changes between 6.6 and 6.8; bcachefs, open NVIDIA drivers, and more.

If I was in charge, either 6.5 or 6.8 would be the current LTS release. 6.6 being LTS is what happens when you follow release cadences religiously and without thought.

Comment

Maybe official linux kernel should be LTS not the last of each year, but the first (or second) of each year. So distros could use a recent enough official LTS kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                  My guess is because they can afford to, given the resources they have.

Comment

Originally posted by AkulaMD View Post

My guess is because they can afford to, given the resources they have.
                    I think there is more than a kernel (see what I did there ) of truth to this. Canonical barely knows or cares that Linux Mint or the other hobby projects exist. They compete with Red Hat an Suse for big corporation and government contracts. And having a stable AND up to date kernel regardless of said kernel being officially an LTS version or not gives Canonical an edge over the other big rivals.

Comment

Working...
                    X