No announcement yet.

Canonical To Work On Improving Snap Support Across Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me personally, I've been a Ubuntu user since 2009. I've been through many changes from Ubuntu. I have no problem with Snap. Over time , Canonical will improve many aspects of their distribution. Can't wait for 24.04 LTS!

Comment

Originally posted by krzyzowiec View Post
      Here come the trolls. Ubuntu users appreciate the convenience. It's cool that others will get a chance to do as well.
      You mean all 5 of those Ubuntu users that actually LIKE Snaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Yalok View Post
        Are there any plans to open source the snap repo server backend?

On the other hand, I do think Canonical should've learned their lesson by now. Their alternatives are mostly a waste of time and money: bazaar, upstart, ubuntu one, mir, unity..
        Except cloud-init, which did become the industry standard, the rest were either abandoned or replaced by more popular software: git, systemd, Wayland, gnome.

With containerd on the servers and flatpack on the desktops being the more popular solutions, I don't see any bright future for snaps.
        I actually liked Upstart. It was easier to configure than SysV scripts and not as invasive as SystemDeath.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

you can create your own snapstore. not that it would make any sense.

both of them were superior to anything that was available back then. kde and gnome could learn plenty from unity's usability
          Can you really start your own snapstore? Because I keep seeing people complaining that that's not possible. e.g. for internal network use.

Unity was great indeed and I enjoyed using it, but in the end, I guess what matters is what survives and Unity and upstart didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Yalok View Post

Can you really start your own snapstore? Because I keep seeing people complaining that that's not possible. e.g. for internal network use.

Unity was great indeed and I enjoyed using it, but in the end, I guess what matters is what survives and Unity and upstart didn't.
            It is possible, Ubuntu just doesn't provide their own backend software for free. AFAIK the Snap backend is just a standard HTTP web server that serves json and snap files. Somebody had a simple version they created but they didn't keep it up to date with snapd's api so they removed the code off github and as far as I can see nobody else has really tried. It's entirely possible for an organization or a person to look at snapd's code and see how the API works and create their own backend and host it. Last time I checked, the snapd service had an environment variable you could set to point it toward whatever URL you wanted for the snap store.

Comment

Originally posted by SophTherapy View Post
              flatpak rules.

Canonucal is waging lost war
              Well, Canonical is well known for that. But one must remember that in a number of the cases they did, indeed, identify a real issue, but their scale and resources were simply not sufficient to develop a solution that could achieve industry consensus. To their credit, they are willing to (eventually) abandon projects that do not manage to achieve sufficient industry support, although it does seem they sometimes try to hold on just a little too long.

Perhaps Canonical should focus on the particular capabilities that Snap has that Flatpak does not, and let Flatpak deal with the rest (but I suspect if you have a hammer, too many things look like a nail).

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

you maybe do not believe this story but its the truth: i used KDE over 20 years and then i was forced to discover that left-wing criminals deep state agents in the german domestic spy agency used a KDE Folder autoload function to install a trojan on my computer by simple plug in a usb stick and KDE autostarted scripts in the preperated folder on the usb stick.
                this function was implemented in secrecy in KDE and was later removed with security concerns as an argument.

this event forced me to reconsider KDE/QT its trustworthiness and they are NOT trustworthy.

then i switched to Gnome and in Gnome they never implemented any kind of autostart functions for scripts on USB-sticks ....

remember microsoft did buy nokia in the past and for a short persiod of time this QT company was in the hand of microsoft.

these people are evil and KDE/QT is a security risk no one should ever consider to use.

just remember the autostart function of CD's and DVD's in the windows 95-windows xp area many viruses/trojans where just started with that autostart function... that KDE let it happen to add something like this for USB sticks on linux is complete insanity.

in the last 30 years of linux history it was always like this to choose your hardware wisely and Nvidia of course is a bad idea but i already told you this in the past.

some people say the future opensource nvidia driver will be much better with now the big-firmware and the opensource kernel driver make it possible

but as i unterstand it intel and amd maintain a stable kernel driver api for their connection between kernel driver and firmware and also and userspace drivers and nvidia don't want to do something like this what is the reason why they need ot keep old firmware versions and need new driver for every new firmware version.

so my recommendation is stay away from nvidia and even intel is a better option than nvidia. a firmware of 62mb is complete insanity...

Ubuntu was always the friend of every monopolist and evilness in the world no wonder why ubuntu always only stick to what works best with Nvidia.
                this was always my feeling that for example Fedora fokus on all AMD hardware means AMD CPU and AMD GPU and the amd opensource drivers.
                and that ubuntu did focus on nvidia drivers.

of course you can use Pop OS if you are in this trap. in the future you can try the opensource driver for nvidia.

do yourself a favor and avoid fedora with nvidia hardware. you can try it but fedora is very close to upstream for example the kernel and nvidia drivers many times have problem with that.

buy AMD hardware if you want to have a good ride with Fedora...

"(obviously) is I'm not familiar with the other distros"

maybe get a steam deck and try out its Arch based distro to ?
                Go see a doctor immediately for real.

Comment

DEs
                  Unity (not to be confused with the development of games) was 2 versions. One of them, I think the first one was absolutely fantastic. Fast even without acceleration on GPU. Then they rewrote it from Qt to another language. I remember the aunt drove quickly on a laptop with the old Intel Centrino. Cinnamon seems to have been filled with empty space. Although technically not (because gnome). But I have good news for us. I tried KDE on the hardware (Old 2 core, 2GB RAM), which is not recommended, and it went against Gnome beautifully smoothly with the browser running.​
                  Last edited by Rovano; 08 January 2024, 08:22 AM.

Comment

3 PACKAGES SYSTEMS
                    When I installed 1 app, and now I'm not sure Appimage or Flatpak. I think it was Flatpak. So he gradually remodeled himself in the updates of another part of the system, which were still in Deb packages. In the end, there was hell, when every day, but really every day, withdrew the Flatpak update, 1.5GB minimally. I had to dig it out of the system.

I am afraid that this awaits us all with immunization and containers in the future.

Snap
                    I am quite surprised that no one is mentioned here, the upstream error (not Canonical), which hindered the start of Snap by about 30 seconds. It's a new thing. It will only be distributed to distributions.​

We may agree that most companies support packages of only 3 Linux companies.

Alphabetically:

Canonical
                    Red Hat
                    Suse

No one cares about the rest. We must realize that the market is relentless. There are different rules than the philosophy of Debian. Which may or may not answer the question of why Snap is centralized.​
                    Last edited by Rovano; 07 January 2024, 06:28 AM.

Comment

I am glad that there were people in the discussion who can put two and two together and see things objectively.​

Comment

Working...
                      X