Canonical To Work On Improving Snap Support Across Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    It sounds like you stick to KDE DEs too, right?
    you maybe do not believe this story but its the truth: i used KDE over 20 years and then i was forced to discover that left-wing criminals deep state agents in the german domestic spy agency used a KDE Folder autoload function to install a trojan on my computer by simple plug in a usb stick and KDE autostarted scripts in the preperated folder on the usb stick.
    this function was implemented in secrecy in KDE and was later removed with security concerns as an argument.

this event forced me to reconsider KDE/QT its trustworthiness and they are NOT trustworthy.

then i switched to Gnome and in Gnome they never implemented any kind of autostart functions for scripts on USB-sticks ....

remember microsoft did buy nokia in the past and for a short persiod of time this QT company was in the hand of microsoft.

these people are evil and KDE/QT is a security risk no one should ever consider to use.

just remember the autostart function of CD's and DVD's in the windows 95-windows xp area many viruses/trojans where just started with that autostart function... that KDE let it happen to add something like this for USB sticks on linux is complete insanity.

The problem with using Debian - is that the software is usually older - so, for e.g., if I need Nvidia ver. 545.*, chances are, it won't even be in the sid or experimental repo?
    in the last 30 years of linux history it was always like this to choose your hardware wisely and Nvidia of course is a bad idea but i already told you this in the past.

some people say the future opensource nvidia driver will be much better with now the big-firmware and the opensource kernel driver make it possible

but as i unterstand it intel and amd maintain a stable kernel driver api for their connection between kernel driver and firmware and also and userspace drivers and nvidia don't want to do something like this what is the reason why they need ot keep old firmware versions and need new driver for every new firmware version.

so my recommendation is stay away from nvidia and even intel is a better option than nvidia. a firmware of 62mb is complete insanity...

I have read some info that supposedly you can install it - but, I'd rather stick to the distro's provided packages. This situation for me, might change if I ultimately buy an amd gpu but for now, I am using Nvidia gpus - I need proprietary drivers for gaming etc.
    Ubuntu/Kubuntu usually has decent options for newer/more recent graphics drivers so I kind of stick to the -*buntus - if I want to avoid snap - I can use Pop OS or something like that?
    Ubuntu was always the friend of every monopolist and evilness in the world no wonder why ubuntu always only stick to what works best with Nvidia.
    this was always my feeling that for example Fedora fokus on all AMD hardware means AMD CPU and AMD GPU and the amd opensource drivers.
    and that ubuntu did focus on nvidia drivers.

of course you can use Pop OS if you are in this trap. in the future you can try the opensource driver for nvidia.

However, I am thinking of trying Fedora and Tumbleweed out - perhaps, a multi-boot of all three - Fedora/Tumbleweed/*buntu flavor (or Debian but I think it's just more work to maintain newer software) - I prefer debian as a base, actually so I agree with you - but, I'll have to see about how easy it is to use newer software - mostly the graphics stack (Nvidia) - although, I might not want the newest version (all the time) as it's common to have bugs or issues with the newest release.

The other problem (obviously) is I'm not familiar with the other distros as much but I guess one has to start somewhere and it's about time I tried the others?
    do yourself a favor and avoid fedora with nvidia hardware. you can try it but fedora is very close to upstream for example the kernel and nvidia drivers many times have problem with that.

buy AMD hardware if you want to have a good ride with Fedora...

"(obviously) is I'm not familiar with the other distros"

maybe get a steam deck and try out its Arch based distro to ?
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      deb came before rpm, in the form of the debian distrobution. rpm came 2 years later. Then again, both were invented in the mid-90s and there was a lot less standardization happening in that time so I can hardly blame either of them.
      snap was developed because Canonical enterprise users looked at flatpak and went "that sandboxing thing looks interesting, but it's implemented like shit and I could never use it on my company's systems" so Canonical had to develop something their customers would actually use. Blame that one on the flatpak developers releasing the standard to the public before putting any actual thought into solving any of it's issues. These days Flatpaks are lot better with portals, but they're still a pain in the ass to use and require way more configuration to set up... if they even work. But back in 2014? LOL no.

The Phoronix forums seriously need to brush up on their history lessons and critical thinking skills.
      right. honestly right. but who cares about history lessions and who come first ? then .deb come first and .rpm come second but the result is no standardisation.

i think the linux desktop marketshare is so low because of the lag of standardization.

we could have much higher marketshare if there was some kind of standardization.

today the only standardized way to do software on linux is the Web-Browser.

Comment

flatpak rules.

Canonucal is waging lost war

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
          remember microsoft did buy nokia in the past and for a short persiod of time this QT company was in the hand of microsoft.
          That is likely a misunderstanding on your part.

Microsoft only bought part of Nokia, the section that was creating handsets (phones).

Other parts of Nokia's business, like the section that work on cell tower technology or Qt, remained as-is.
          The Qt part of the business was later sold to another Finnish company called Digia.
          They then formed a subsidiary called The Qt Company

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
            I'm typing this on a Ubuntu Studio install and I despise having to kill Firefox to be able to update it.
            Issues are old and a possible solution is proposed but last time I looked it was still not resolved but maybe in the next LTS... or I moved to Guix by then.
            Got Flatpak and Guix installed to conveniently get programs or version not in the repository.
            You always need to close firefox in order to update it. Outside of snaps, Firefox will refuse to load any pages and ask you to restart once you update it while it's running.

Comment

Originally posted by Yalok View Post
              Are there any plans to open source the snap repo server backend?
              you can create your own snapstore. not that it would make any sense.

Originally posted by Yalok View Post
              upstart, unity..
              both of them were superior to anything that was available back then. kde and gnome could learn plenty from unity's usability

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                You always need to close firefox in order to update it. Outside of snaps, Firefox will refuse to load any pages and ask you to restart once you update it while it's running.
                At least with Flatpak you can install the new version of Firefox without closing it and keep browsing with the old version. Firefox will use the new version once you restart it.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

you maybe do not believe this story but its the truth: i used KDE over 20 years and then i was forced to discover that left-wing criminals deep state agents in the german domestic spy agency used a KDE Folder autoload function to install a trojan on my computer by simple plug in a usb stick and KDE autostarted scripts in the preperated folder on the usb stick.
                  this function was implemented in secrecy in KDE and was later removed with security concerns as an argument.

this event forced me to reconsider KDE/QT its trustworthiness and they are NOT trustworthy.

then i switched to Gnome and in Gnome they never implemented any kind of autostart functions for scripts on USB-sticks ....

these people are evil and KDE/QT is a security risk no one should ever consider to use.

just remember the autostart function of CD's and DVD's in the windows 95-windows xp area many viruses/trojans where just started with that autostart function... that KDE let it happen to add something like this for USB sticks on linux is complete insanity.

in the last 30 years of linux history it was always like this to choose your hardware wisely and Nvidia of course is a bad idea but i already told you this in the past.

some people say the future opensource nvidia driver will be much better with now the big-firmware and the opensource kernel driver make it possible

but as i unterstand it intel and amd maintain a stable kernel driver api for their connection between kernel driver and firmware and also and userspace drivers and nvidia don't want to do something like this what is the reason why they need ot keep old firmware versions and need new driver for every new firmware version.

so my recommendation is stay away from nvidia and even intel is a better option than nvidia. a firmware of 62mb is complete insanity...

Ubuntu was always the friend of every monopolist and evilness in the world no wonder why ubuntu always only stick to what works best with Nvidia.
                  this was always my feeling that for example Fedora fokus on all AMD hardware means AMD CPU and AMD GPU and the amd opensource drivers.
                  and that ubuntu did focus on nvidia drivers.

of course you can use Pop OS if you are in this trap. in the future you can try the opensource driver for nvidia.

do yourself a favor and avoid fedora with nvidia hardware. you can try it but fedora is very close to upstream for example the kernel and nvidia drivers many times have problem with that.

buy AMD hardware if you want to have a good ride with Fedora...

"(obviously) is I'm not familiar with the other distros"

maybe get a steam deck and try out its Arch based distro to ?
                  I have never heard about that KDE 'story.' Anyway, I've mostly used Gnome - the last time I was on Linux 24/7, I was using Pop OS and Ubuntu - so both Gnome (DEs). I used Kubuntu a long time ago. I don't really have a preference but the last time I used KDE, I was getting regular seg fault crashes and there was some other odd quirks that became annoying - I was going to try it again but I don't have a real preference in DE - I just want what works. I tried out some Gnome themes and extensions but this time, I'll probably just use vanilla or whatever the distro devs had as default.

I'm saving up for a 7900 XT or XTX - if I can't get either - I'll probably get a 3090 or maybe used 4070 Ti /Ti Super - whatever is around my price point. Basic functionality, gaming and Davinci Resolve/KdenLive/video eidting is the priority - but, I'd like to dabble with Blender too - an AMD gpu might not be the best choice with the latter but the more I learn/become informed of what can be expected - I don't think it's a deal breaker because an AMD gpu sounds like it's suitable for the rest of my use case. However, they're expensive here and I'm only considering 7900 series - nothing below.

I thought about Arch Linux. I tried Manjaro but had some strange outcomes with the live media. As I said, I don't have a preference although my experience was Debian-based distros - so, returning to one of those is probably the most convenient but DR is supported in Rocky Linux and I think I should become more familiar with Fedora.

Comment

I have never heard about that KDE 'story.'
                    to me this was surprising new to. military cyber-security did send me this article about how they did it.

this is one danger of opensource in general that if many people send and contribute code that some well trusted developers can abuse their power
                    by smuggle in code with such autostart functionality.

it looks like gnome has much stronger evaluation examinations means something like this happen less likely.

Anyway, I've mostly used Gnome - the last time I was on Linux 24/7, I was using Pop OS and Ubuntu - so both Gnome (DEs). I used Kubuntu a long time ago. I don't really have a preference but the last time I used KDE, I was getting regular seg fault crashes and there was some other odd quirks that became annoying - I was going to try it again but I don't have a real preference in DE - I just want what works. I tried out some Gnome themes and extensions but this time, I'll probably just use vanilla or whatever the distro devs had as default.
                    I'm saving up for a 7900 XT or XTX - if I can't get either - I'll probably get a 3090 or maybe used 4070 Ti /Ti Super - whatever is around my price point. Basic functionality, gaming and Davinci Resolve/KdenLive/video eidting is the priority - but, I'd like to dabble with Blender too - an AMD gpu might not be the best choice with the latter but the more I learn/become informed of what can be expected - I don't think it's a deal breaker because an AMD gpu sounds like it's suitable for the rest of my use case. However, they're expensive here and I'm only considering 7900 series - nothing below.
                    I thought about Arch Linux. I tried Manjaro but had some strange outcomes with the live media. As I said, I don't have a preference although my experience was Debian-based distros - so, returning to one of those is probably the most convenient but DR is supported in Rocky Linux and I think I should become more familiar with Fedora.
                    soon the 7900 cards will become cheap because of the release of RDNA4 gpus in 2024...

i really have the feeling that in the last 3-4 years amd do better and better. and nvidia struggle more and more on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                      This is exactly the problem, the UX is garbage.
                      Let me explain.
                      1. a popup tells me there is a update for Firefox and I need to close it
                      2. I do that
                      3. noting happens
                      4. I start Firefox again and continue doing stuff
                      With mounted file system images one would think it would be possible to update in the background and swap the new version in as soon as the old one closes?!

Alternatively at least catch the users action after all snap requested it and immediately start the update.

Different angle:
                      1. I see a update notification at the lower right
                      2. run `sudo nala upgrade -y`
                      3. run `guix pull && guix upgrade`
                      4. run `sudo flatpak upgrade`
                      5. run `sudo snap refresh`
                      The snap update for Firefox was silently skipped. If you force it with `snap refresh firefox` you finally get the hint, that it can't update a running app.

Comment

Working...
                      X